How does balsm/fir or douglas fir burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
dwarfcityminesofmoria said:
How does hemlock and balsm/fir burn like?

Balsam? Balsam fir is way way way way way way way way way down on the BTU list (11.3). It is one of the lowest heat producing trees. All of the pine family is better and that's not saying much...

Hey take it easy on us pine burners. I smell hardwood elitist in the midst. LMAO :p , but i was going to say the same. Balsam makes good R/C airplanes! not fires!

MountainStoveGuy said:
Hey take it easy on us pine burners. I smell hardwood elitist in the midst. LMAO :p , but i was going to say the same. Balsam makes good R/C airplanes! not fires!

I wish!! :lol: The closest I get to hardwood is Western Larch or Douglas Fir. Idaho doesn't have anything better than Colorado.

MountainStoveGuy said:

Hehe... :lol: Mmmmm, Red Oak, Elm, Apple, Cherry, Maple, Ash...Sure is a big pile of all that in my yard right now. Oh and uhhhh, well, some pine.

I have been burning through a 12' by 4' pile of douglas fir dimensional lumber these past few weeks... throw it in with some regular splits and the stuff works wonders! Too bad all my wood isn't kiln dried ;-) (yeah I know, I'm keeping an eye on the temps, and only throw 1 or 2 pieces in with 2 or 3 splits). It is great just to throw a few pieces on the coals when I want to warm the stove up quickly.

-- Mike

Douglas fir is an ok firewood. I've gone an entire season on it. But it burns hot and fast mostly due to the trapped oils in it. When a pocket of pitch catches fire, it can really take off. I like to mix doug fir with local maple (soft), alder or cherry.

MountainStoveGuy said:

Do you perhaps mean Balsa?

http://www.treehugger.com/files/balsa-trees1.jpg

MountainStoveGuy said:
that would be correct, i love to show my ignorance whenever possible.

Common mistake. Balsam firs do make very nice smelling Christmas trees though.

Status
Not open for further replies.