How Does Cherry Burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I am buying some wood. The fellow says it is mixed cherry and maple. I have read that cherry is a 'medium' on the heat content scale, while maple is a 'high'. Should I try to avoid cherry, as in 'am I getting my money's worth?' Thanks.

Depends on the price, but cherry is fine firewood.

And fine cooking wood. What i would do for a cherry tree. Know what they sell for hardwood around here? Railroad tie end cuts. $300 a cord. At least you get a true cord out of it i guess. :( Lots of people on here burn cherry. I would say your good to go.

About 1/8th of my pile was cherry this year. It burn o.k., but if used for an overnight burn, it seems to leave more unburned coals than some other woods. It seems to do better with hotter daytime/evening fires. It's kind of a mid-range wood for BTUs, You won't notice any difference between it and the maple. Maybe a lab could detect the difference, but not a home wood burner. Too many other influences. Draft, stove, other wood in the stove during the burn, damper settings, outside wind, outside temp, etc...

I feel like a cherry in need of burning is a good find.

When I bought loads of wood, the worst possible combination was cherry and red (soft) maple. Neither have much in the way of heating value compared to species like hard (sugar) maple, beech, hickory and yellow birch. Once dry, cherry burns hot, but not for very long. Red maple, IMO, is pretty much of a dog all around.

Like Dylan says, let the logger know you expect a good percentage of hard maple to offset the somewhat lower heat output you'll get from the cherry, and ask him not to bring you any soft maple at all. See what he says. You'll probably have to settle for some soft maple (the guy has to cut and sell what grew), but it is good to let him know that you know the difference.

had 3 cord of cherry last year. burnt 2 last year. burning the last now. it's a good wood. heats well. but yes have noticed a slightly less burn time. instead of a 8 hour burn time i'm getting 7.
no big deal. it's aroma is very nice. and yes if you are going to smoke some meat you have to have some cherry.

If I could get a cord of cherry I'd take it in a heartbeat. Until I get ambitious and drive to the east I am afraid I'll continue burning Ponderosa pine. Blasphemy I know.

It's all relative, Shane. You gotta burn what's available.

Status
Not open for further replies.