How does one attach a dampered DVL adapter to the stove collar?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
JPapiPE said:
I figure it must be done with screws, but I suspect screws may make the damper inoperable.
i put mine in the pipe istead of coller

So SmokinJ can you elaborate? Did you choose not to attach to the collar, but just above it. I guess I could do some precise measurements and have the screws just penetrate the collar. I don't know if this is neccessary. I have placed screws in all the other places except the top of the DVL where it goes into the ceiling collar and is joined by a close clearance adapter.

On the F400, I had the DVL start collar with the damper in it. It attached to the stove collar and the screws didn't interfere with the damper operation at all.

I did just take a call from Ray at Dura-Vent and he assured me that no screws are neccessary with the first piece of DVL transition pipe as long as the upper DVL is attached to the adapter. He also informed me that no screws are neccessary where a DVL section of pipe goes into a Simpson Ceiling support Box so long as the Close Clearance Adapter is used for the connection.

As long as the screws are sufficiently either upstream or downstream of the swing radius of the damper plate then they won't get in the way. If they stick into the flue too far and end up interfering with the damper then you can shorten the screw as necessary to provide clearance. Just be sure that you are not putting screws into the critical sealing location.

I assume you are talking about adding the seperate premade double wall damper section that is only about 4 inches long and meant to sit on the stove? That's the way I would add a damper to a double wall system too.

JPapiPE said:
So SmokinJ can you elaborate? Did you choose not to attach to the collar, but just above it. I guess I could do some precise measurements and have the screws just penetrate the collar. I don't know if this is neccessary. I have placed screws in all the other places except the top of the DVL where it goes into the ceiling collar and is joined by a close clearance adapter.
my damper is about a foot above the collar i have Barometric Draft Regulator then the damper just above that

JPapiPE said:
I did just take a call from Ray at Dura-Vent and he assured me that no screws are neccessary with the first piece of DVL transition pipe as long as the upper DVL is attached to the adapter. He also informed me that no screws are neccessary where a DVL section of pipe goes into a Simpson Ceiling support Box so long as the Close Clearance Adapter is used for the connection.

That is correct for the connection to the ceiling support box. But I thought code required 3 screws per joint.

With the first puffback of the stove I am certain that you will be very grateful to have each connection screwed, especially the stove connection. Don't skip the screws!

This has always been a sore spot for me. My installer and inspector tell me that no screws are required at the ceiling or at the stove. Just the three in the middle where the telescoping section needs to be held telescoped. Now I can add Simpson to the list?

BeGreen said:
JPapiPE said:

That is correct for the connection to the ceiling support box. But I thought code required 3 screws per joint.

With the first puffback of the stove I am certain that you will be very grateful to have each connection screwed, especially the stove connection. Don't skip the screws!

Dale and Ray are the only 2 techs that field questions at Simpson Dura-Vent. It's straight from the manufacturers mouths Woody

I've also installed hundreds of wood stoves with simpson double-wall and never use screws at the flue collar. If all above are secure, it won't go anywhere. Same with the Adaptor Damper Section, just rest it in the flue collar

Corey you are right in line with Ray from Dura-Vent. I did get his opinion after I placed this post early on today... His words...(No screws neccesary) Some members won't accept this , but it's truth from Ray at Dura-Vent...via phone communication. Ray did also enlighten me as to the correct method to attach a DVL pipe to the top Dura-Vent Ceiling Support. ...If you use a Close Clearance Adapter from Dura-vent ...No Screws Are Neccessary.
Suck on that all you Ministers of Stoveology

When I installed our homestead a couple years ago I did the same thing and called Ray, we did it per his instuctions and have not had any problems.

coreystaf said:
Yep. The first time someone tries putting a screw thru the DVL into a collar of a Jotul they'll immediately agree LOL

Did it with the F400 in about 5 minutes for the 3 screws. For a rear exit connection, I wouldn't even think of it not being screwed to the stove connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.