how does one know when a circ pump is repairable or junk?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

topofthehil

Aug 16, 2007
WC WI
I went through three taco 007 pumps already this year.
don't know why... wish I did.
the last one that went out was a zoning pump that feed my plenum HE. the water temp going into the HE is about 85^F.
the temp coming from the HE was 83^F. a heat gun on the pump motor was running 146^F.
if only the cartage is shot, I can rebuild the pump.
if the motor is shot, I assume so is the pump?
how do I know if the cartage is shot or if indeed the motor is shot.
how hot should the pump motor get?
why would these pumps be gong out after only 3 years and running for 6 months each year?
is there any troubleshooting that I can do?
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

topofthehil said:
I went through three taco 007 pumps already this year.
don't know why... wish I did.
the last one that went out was a zoning pump that feed my plenum HE. the water temp going into the HE is about 85^F.
the temp coming from the HE was 83^F. a heat gun on the pump motor was running 146^F.
if only the cartage is shot, I can rebuild the pump.
if the motor is shot, I assume so is the pump?
how do I know if the cartage is shot or if indeed the motor is shot.
how hot should the pump motor get?
why would these pumps be gong out after only 3 years and running for 6 months each year?
is there any troubleshooting that I can do?
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

hard to say why they are failing, but they have a 3 year warranty from time of purchase. I would call Taco support and see what they say.

some pumps are horizontal mount and some are not.
I think two of the three were vertical mount and one horizontal mount.
I thought I read that if the pump sees over 20 psi that it can be mounted vertically?
and, this manifold is being supplied by a 011 circ pump that, according to my temp/pressure gauge, is a little over 20 psi.

Status
Not open for further replies.