how does the air get in?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tiber

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2009
Philadelphia
So I have been running the crap out of the defiant 1910 here and we are up almost $210 on the oil bill (how much THEY OWE US). But the other day my wife went to light it off and couldn't get it going. Then I noticed she had let the ash pan fill and had about another inch of ash in there. I cleaned it out an it still didn't want to light off, so I shop vaccummed everything I could find in there to clear it. This worked,but where does the air actually get into the firebox?

I'm pretty sure air enters at the lower back of the stove, passes thru the stove (prewarmed) and ultimately comes out the channels above the fire doors to produce the "air wash". I know on my old one just like yours I had to go to some trouble to make sure the baffles above the door had enough space to allow combustion air to enter.

As my stove got older the refractory started going which really affected the draft. I replaced the refractory and burned it last year (just fine). This summer we switched over to the isle royale.

I also recall sometimes the cat would partially fill with fly ash which affected the burn on the cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.