How does the bottom grate get placed in a Jotul F600?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowfreak

Nov 18, 2005
Altona, NY
I took out the bottom grate in my Jotul F600 and can't remember how it was in there from the factory. The picture to the right is with the flat surface up and the two tabs(by tabs I'm refering to the two small rectangular bumps in the picture on the right at the very far left and far right bottom of grate) towards the glass or I could turn it so the tabs would be at the back of the stove. The picture to the left is with the beveled surface up and the tabs at the back of the stove or I could turn it and have the tabs towards the glass. You can't see the tabs because they are beneath the grate It probably does not make a difference but I would like to put it back the way it should be.

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 268
  • Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 284
You needed to take a picture of it before you took it out. :)

I would think the manual would show you and if you don't have that they have pdf ones available on their web site.

We lit a fire this morning since it is low 40 and windy here today. Better get that back together since you never know when you may want to fire it up again.

You tinkerer, you - haven't even burned the thing yet and your already taking it apart? Reminds me of Tim "the tool man" Taylor from the tv show, hahaha.

To your question, correct placement is picture to right, but turn around 180 degrees to where "bumps" are facing towards the back. At least that it how mine is and I just looked at it for you, and I have not had occassion to move mine yet (hahaha again - just picking) after burning it for about 1/3 the winter.

BotetourtSteve said:
You tinkerer, you - haven't even burned the thing yet and your already taking it apart? Reminds me of Tim "the tool man" Taylor from the tv show, hahaha.

To your question, correct placement is picture to right, but turn around 180 degrees to where "bumps" are facing towards the back. At least that it how mine is and I just looked at it for you, and I have not had occassion to move mine yet (hahaha again - just picking) after burning it for about 1/3 the winter.

He is correct.

Yeah I should have taken a picture first. This F600 is a warranty replacement stove, I had my other one for two burning seasons. I must have taken the grate out of the other one also and forgot how to put it back in. I had the grate with the beveled edge facing up the whole time. Probably lost a half inch of usable space for more wood, not to mention the ash shovel will probably slide across it more easily. The owners manual lists the grate but the picture was to vague to see how it goes in. Thanks for taking a peek I now have the grate installed like yours.

snowfreak said:
This F600 is a warranty replacement stove, I had my other one for two burning seasons.

Two seasons?! :bug: What happened? At least it was covered by the warranty.

Oh, and why are you shoveling ashes when you have that nice backwards grate that allows ashes to fall into the ash drawer?! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.