How does this burn look

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris2879

Nov 8, 2010
Western MA
Stove face is about 500 (fell a little from 510). There are 3 pieces of ash and 1 of silver maple.
How does this look in terms of clean burning.

Looks good I guess. Kind of hard to tell. Once you temp has stabilized you can cut the primary off further. It's a little hard to tell, you don't give us much info.

I should also add the air was about 5% open. This is on a PE Summit insert.

If you look at the stack outside and nothing but clear waves or white quickly dispersing steam is all you see, your good to go.
What time into the burn is that video?

Somewhere between 45-60 minutes

Well dif stoves, dif wood, dif setups, but mine would ahve secondaries going for a while.
Are you loading it full for overnight burns? And how hot is it getting? How long are your secondaries lasting?
If the stack isn't releasing gray, blue or black smoke, your good to go. As I mentioned, if clear "waves" or steam (white). Your burning decent.

Hogwildz said:
If you look at the stack outside and nothing but clear waves or white quickly dispersing steam is all you see, your good to go.
What time into the burn is that video?
I agree with Hogz the proof of a good clean burn lies in what the exhaust from the chimney looks like. for the first month or so I spent quite a bit of time looking at the chimney while learning just how much and how quickly I could cut my air back and once you get the hang of it I can now tell just by how the flame in the stove looks and the flue temps whether it's ok or not. You will get the hang of it it just takes some time however as far as the video goes it looks ok but you didn't give us flue temps stove top temps or length of burn at the time the video was taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.