How does White Pine burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jatoxico

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2011
Long Island NY
I picked up a small amount of White Pine, got it split and drying. Don't expect to use it until next burning season or later. Worth the trouble or pass in the future?

Id take it, good shoulder season wood, burns hot but fast but thats what I want some days in shoulder season.

Is that the common pine that we have here?

If so, it is great for quick bursts of heat, getting the stove cranking when its's really cold outside, and it's great for shoulder season when you need temps up over night.Mix with a piece or two or three of hardwood, and you're good to go.

I like it, I wish I had more this season.

I agree - its good to mix in with the hardwoods to help things along.
Gabe

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
If so, it is great for quick bursts of heat, getting the stove cranking when its's really cold outside, and it's great for shoulder season when you need temps up over night.Mix with a piece or two or three of hardwood, and you're good to go.

Yeah I'm sure we are talking about the same tree. There are a lot of them around here especially in your area I think Dixie. Most people shy away from them, I always did. They can be a sticky mess to handle at certain times of the year.

Good to know they are usefull, I'll take it if more comes up.

I got about 2/3 cord of it from cutting down dead pine on my property this year...
Cut it in spring, and it's at about 17% moisture right now. I split them somewhat small, maybe 2-3" pieces, mainly because I was using the Fiskars and it was flying through them so easily I couldn't help myself. But also so I can do like others have said, throw a couple pieces in with hardwood to get everything going.

It seasons quick. Had 4 pines taken down last year in September, and it was good in January. Helped save my butt last year.

Way worth it, IMHO.

Wow! White Pine has fans. Can't tell you how many times I've seen stacks rot down unused. I think most people are afraid to use it at all. I bet I could score a bunch of it since no one seems to want it much.

The stuff I had was a pain to split because of big V branches/crotches etc. The stuff that was clean and straight split nicely though.

My neighbor has a row of them right along my pool blocking the sun and dropping needles like mad. I wouldn't mind seeing those trees in particular coming out of the top of my chimney :coolgrin: .

jatoxico said:
Wow! White Pine has fans. Can't tell you how many times I've seen stacks rot down unused. I think most people are afraid to use it at all. I bet I could score a bunch of it since no one seems to want it much.

The stuff I had was a pain to split because of big V branches/crotches etc. The stuff that was clean and straight split nicely though.

My neighbor has a row of them right along my pool blocking the sun and dropping needles like mad. I wouldn't mind seeing those trees in particular coming out of the top of my chimney :coolgrin: .

I like it because everyone says it causes Creosote and the sap is incredibly bad for your chimney pipe or overfire your stove so nobody wants it.
That translates to cheap price for wood that is honestly no different from any other.
Granted you have to load the stove more often, and more hauling/stacking. But if it means saving 75% off the price of a hardwood, then so be it.

Hass said:
jatoxico said:

I like it because everyone says it causes Creosote and the sap is incredibly bad for your chimney pipe or overfire your stove so nobody wants it.
That translates to cheap price for wood that is honestly no different from any other.
Granted you have to load the stove more often, and more hauling/stacking. But if it means saving 75% off the price of a hardwood, then so be it.

I just passed on a huge stack for free for exactly this reason. Maybe it's still there...

I use it and also use Spruce. It does burn up pretty quick, so I've been keeping the splits bigger than last year hoping they'll last a bit longer.
Get it dry...it burns just fine. Worth the effort......well, that's your call. I say yes for me. I won't go too far out of the way to get it, but have a bunch on the property here so it's a no-brainer for me. This is the perfect time of year to use it.
Matter of fact, we've had about 5-6 fires so far this year and only used about the same number of oak splits, with the rest being pine and spruce.

Pine and spruce is what heats my 2140sqft home down to -40 just fine. Overnight burns etc.... I am sure it can heat a home down there. Your pine might not be as dence as mine but it is not as cold there either. ;-)

I hate it when they are actively flowing sap and are a mess to process. Timing is everything I guess.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:

Dixie, you can tell white pine really easy. Count the letters in the word "white" and you''ll see there are 5. Now count the needles that grow in a clump. 5 needles = white pine.

I love burning pine, starts easy and is a welcome addition to getting locust going from a cold furnace.

Not much to add to this thread . . .

I burn white pine . . . primarily in the shoulder seasons . . . although I sometimes split up some for use as kindling . . . it's wicked nice wood to throw on to some coals to get a fresh re-load going -- it tends to burn fast and hot.

I don't go out of my way for pine, but every Spring I end up cutting up some large pine branches that come down during the Winter. I always figure all wood has its place . . . and if you need wood then all wood is good wood.

As mentioned a lot of folks tend to steer away from pine out of the myth that pine causes chimney fires (as stated . . . this is a myth . . . burning pine however will lead to baldness -- this is the only reason I can figure why I am losing my hair.) The biggest thing is to remember that all wood needs to be seasoned . . . regardless of how much the wood weighs.

There are a few negatives . . . if you're looking for overnight wood this is not the wood to load up in your woodstove due to it burning hot and fast . . . if hand splitting some folks report that this wood can be a challenge if there are a lot of knots -- no knots usually = smooth splitting . . . perhaps the most negative aspect is the aforementioned pitch.

Burns great. Burns hot.
I like it best when mixed with some hardwood in the stove.
Dries very nicely in half a year if split.

Status
Not open for further replies.