how easy should the auger turn? how strong is an auger motor? auger seems a little stiff

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericwest

Dec 17, 2012
this stove has not been used in a LONG TIME and I am trying to whip it into shape...its an odd stove...really does not have the typical auger...has a rotating tube that performs the same function...the stove seems to be in good shape electronically...but some of the moving parts are stiff...or stuff...got the damper free....freed up the exhaust motor and it works great now...but I have a question....I removed the auger motor because the tube it turns was stuck...and with some wd40 and hand turning....I got it free...and its getting easier to turn....but its not real easy to turn...i can not spin it with one hand...should it be looser?...or are the auger motors geared low and pretty tough when it comes to turning the auger (in this case its the tube it has to turn) ...will I burn out the auger motor if I turn it on and its not free enough to turn??...I guess I could remover the auger tube..but it looks TOUGH to take out!!..let me know your thoughts please..

A normal auger should spin real easy with just your fingers.

Not sure about your tube type though

...its an odd stove...really does not have the typical auger...has a rotating tube that performs the same function...I removed the auger motor because the tube it turns was stuck...and with some wd40 and hand turning....I got it free...and its getting easier to turn....but its not real easy to turn...i can not spin it with one hand...should it be looser?...or are the auger motors geared low and pretty tough when it comes to turning the auger (in this case its the tube it has to turn) ...will I burn out the auger motor if I turn it on and its not free enough to turn??....

Not enough info. We don't know what make, model, or year stove you're talking about. Plus, a pic of this "odd stove's" non-typical motor/auger would help too.

Make things easier on yourself for the future....put your stove's year, make, & model in your signature line.

Status
Not open for further replies.