how efficient and clean burning is a 1986 Vermont castings Encore 2550

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ahebel

Oct 6, 2008
northern il
i would like to know cause im trying to buy a stove for my mom. this one is for sale in the town i live in. i would like one to be kinda efficient, my parents had a cheap stove before the addition to the house and it wasnt very efficient. my dads very perticular about his house but he likes this stove and the price is afordable for me. any info would be helpful thanks.

its actually on ebay right now, heres the site url if u feel like copy and pasting, its pretty long though. the efficienty numbers they listed are for the new model, i think this one has a differnt model number than 2550 but im not sure

http://cgi.ebay.com/VERMONT-CASTINGS-ENCORE-Blk-Enamel-Wood-Stove-N-Chicago_W0QQitemZ250304540035QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250304540035&_trkparms=39:1|66:2|65:7|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

The ebay title is

VERMONT CASTINGS ENCORE Blk Enamel Wood Stove-N.Chicago

It's a good stove. I haven't seen it in black before, that looks really sharp. It would be good to know what parts have been replaced and the condition of the catalyst. After 22 years of operation I would want a very close examination of the interior to look for signs of warping in the fireback or bypass damper. If all is ok, it could be a good deal.

Since its for your folks, you might want to ask them or yourself if they want a catalytic stove. They tend to
be kind of technical to operate properly, and not everyone wants to deal with that.

I'll second BG's comment in that after 22 years of operation, its probably had some sort of rebuild at some time.
If not, it probably needs one. The pics look good, but you should inspect the interior, and pull the catalyst out of
the back. Inspect the catalyst, and the condition of the heat exchanger (the metal plate behind the catalyst) and
the condition of the refractory package (the fiberous material above and below where the catalyst lives).

well thanks for the advice. i will have to check it out in person, and find out how much and where to buy replacement parts. the website didnt help much, i guess i could find a dealer on the site though.

Also check local hearth and stove shops to see if they can get VC parts. That way they might be
able to absorb some of the shipping costs. Makes a difference if you find yourself ordering
any cast iron replacement parts (heavy).

There is also www.discountstove.com located in Traverse City, MI. Since they are relatively close to
you, the S&H;might not be so bad if you do find you need parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.