How efficient can a fireplace be?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

waivej

Jul 19, 2008
Windsor, CT
www.waiveris.com
Hi All,

Sorry if this has been posted before (I did a quick search). I just found out that my old Waterford Reginald 101 stove can't be approved by the fire marshall. And I'll probably need to make lots of modifications to meet code when I buy another.

We have a nice fireplace with glass/metal doors and a heatilator. Will it be much more efficient to use a wood stove?

-John

Sorry, what is a heatilater?

waivej awhile back we had a pro chimney sweep and cert installer here that said heatilaters were not a good thing to have... Something about it added to too much creosote to the chimney. If I can find it I'll link it up here later tonite.

I had the same setup; good doors and fan forced tube heater, for a few years here. Moved up to a real insert; all in masonry fireplace. So here goes....

Advantage of doors is that the FP can be closed off when you go to bed. The tube heater adds warmth of course. It did not make any creosote. In fact, these are tried and true technology. They waste less heat, but still waste. I grew up with cast iron stove/insert, but this open hearth item seemed to suite my needs pretty well.

With the insert, we are very happy, even though we can't cook marshmallows over our fire.

The comparison: With the insert, an armload of wood heats the room, and several heat the house. With the old FP, it took several armloads to heat the room, and it could never heat the house. (As I'm sure you know.) Even without the increase in heat oil price, we're glad we made the switch.

Do not feel guilty for enjoying your evening fire. It's not that bad. But, in my opinion, you'll be better off with the stove/insert. I don't know anyone who's sorry they switched.

Hi Grandpa John,

Perfect! I was curious how much of a difference it would make. Your "armload" measurements sound right on. An armload tends to raise the room 15 degrees or so...but that's with doors closed, etc.

-John

Oh cheeez that is what I have and love it. The dealer said it is a great system and the Heat and Glo products of today can not beat the one I have. Not only do I have a variable fan, but also a convection system to capture the remaining heat in the firebox. A few problems though. 1 that comes to mind is when that fan stops working. . . I would have to remove the inner contents to get to it. It does have a bottom vent I thought I could pop out yet this model is tapered and the vent can not be removed( I allready tryed to pry it) with out removing the inner contents. I can't clean the cobweb out either.
Another problem is it is so small. It takes a little getting use to loading the wood. Alot of small pieces to burn hot then add the bigger wood. Then a mix of 4 small to 1 big piece. adjusting the air, reburns , I'd say, 50% or less of the smoke with it airwash system. Loads every 45 minutes to 1.5 hours.

I had to custom make a grate that I got from HD for it fit and work effeciently.

That reminds me, for those who do use the tube heaters...I got a varistor type blower control from Northline Express. Makes it much more tolerable to listen to. Our new insert, the QF 4100, is variable from the factory, and quiter overall anyway.

BTW, I don't see why the Waterford can't be approved by the FM. Weren't they listed stoves, in their day, ?

Hi,

The problem was getting a manual for the stove. It had no tag and Waterford-Stanley wouldn't support the stove. The FM treated it like an unlisted antique stove. I don't think I helped the cause by asking if I could use the manual for the Jotul 602 instead. (They look like twins.)

Anyway, yesterday I bought an old Vermont Castings Intrepid ($500). I hope I didn't do something dumb. But it is in good shape, has a tag on the back, and a nice manual from the VC website.

-John

PS: I had another chimney person look at my setup. He took one look and said "heatilator" without seeing the tubes or doors. He said it has a firebox liner made of metal that needs to be modified. But it can't be totally removed since it is helping hold up the chimney. He also recommended a new chimney liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.