How efficient is my stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldmainer

Aug 19, 2009
southern maine
Hi Folks...I have a mid-Moe wood stove in my basement that I have used for a number of years to provide heat along with my oil furnace. I would like to know what the efficiency of the stove is. Can anyone venture a guess? I burn a mix of hard wood ranging from wet to dry. Thanks Franklin

If it's an older pre EPA stove I'd guess about 50% with good dry wood.

Yep. Around 50%. Sixty at best.

I did an expt to rate my pre-EPA wood/coal insert, by burning a known weight of wood and timing how long my furnace tstat stayed shut down at an estimated BTU/h load. With less than perfectly seasoned wood, I got almost exactly 50% efficiency.

Didn't the Chimney Sweep have an article on this where they actually tested emissions? I looked for it but could not find it.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.