How far away is your TV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sly22guy

Oct 28, 2008
Lancaster,PA
Just wondering how far away you have your tv from your wood stove? any issues? Im gona go with the englander 30 with the side heat sheilds in a corner location, tv would sit approx 2.5 feet away is this far enough? I know that it says 14" away from combustables, as in walls but what about tv's and such?

Mines around 30 inches . It's been that way for about 8 years with no problems .

I am putting a lcd above my unit and it sits at 85-90 degrees at its peak. My brother has a plasma and his gets 95-100 and has been there 5 years no problems.

We currently have the beer fridge about 3 feet from the stove, but this isn't a permanent location. Our entertainment center is about 5 feet from the stove and has been for a while. The Quad is also shielded and hasn't been a problem. Most electronics can handle 100F during operation, but it probably shortens its life a little. I wouldn't worry about it unless you start smelling hot plastic!

Chris

I was wondering the same thing, comforting to see the "dont worry" replies.

burntime said:
I am putting a lcd above my unit and it sits at 85-90 degrees at its peak. My brother has a plasma and his gets 95-100 and has been there 5 years no problems.

Do you keep a kettle on the stove? My wife wants to put a flat screen on the wall about 2 ft from the stove, and I've been worried about heat and humidity.

I think there is 1 member "Doing the dixie something something" that handles claims and states there are a lot of claims for just this reason. I know of 3 people that have the same setup and have yet to have a problem after a few years. Maybe its a brands specific problem?

Mine is 37' 2" away the last time I measured it but my wife may have moved it an inch or 2 back the last time she dusted. I also have another one I lent a friend who lives in Plymouth cause his bit the dust and they couldnt afford a new one. That one is about 87 miles north but I dont have a more accurate measurement.

...lookin' at the better part of 48ft...no issues so far :coolsmile:

Mines, about 3 ft away - but I plan to move it further away in the future - darn wires ! Anyway, most TV's use fans to stay cool, so that indicates heat cannot be good for a TV. For me it's a minor risk, and hopefully I get several more years out of the TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.