How far can I blow pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VTPellets

Aug 14, 2015
VT
I suspect I'm going to gain a reputation around here for asking dumb questions, but anyhow.

This one's simple: let's say I want to make getting pellets into my basement easier, and have to get them delivered on pallets; the usual 40lb bag/ton. I've got a bulkhead that's level with the ground, a 185mph leaf blower, this kind of 2" hose, a wye joint/funnel setup, and large storage to blow them into.

My only question is: can I make it 30ft if the hose is relatively level and only makes a significant bend into the storage bin?

Thanks!

Providing that hose is smooth-wall inside, it would be excellent for a larger ( 15 gal / 5.0hp+ ) Shop Vac application.
A fine-dust cartridge filter will make your motor last longer.

(Bends are your enemy - gradual, smooth curves are best.)

Regardless of blowing / venturi pickup, or vacuuming, some static grounding may be a good idea to prevent getting zapped.. Try it first, and see if it's needed.. (If you get zapped, you'll know.)

Yep, I'll be using that hose because it's grounded. I'm less concerned with zaps and more concerned with dust explosions ;-)

Some pellet brands I've tried have been extremely dusty, that "talcum-power" consistency dust is your chief concern.

* If you have any open-flame appliances in that basement, be sure you have proper fresh air cross ventilation in place while running the equipment !

Consider using upgraded airflow / a cyclone if you plan on moving tons / that much bulk material..

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/build_cyclone.cfm

I'm blowing pellets well over 50' with no issues.

I'm blowing pellets well over 50' with no issues.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...or-moving-pellets-around.145309/#post-1958161

That's an impressive setup. Thanks for jumping in here.

A few questions:

Do you need to use a large conical hopper bin on top (to use the weight of pellets) to feed the inlet at the bottom of the hopper?

At the storage bin (in the basement), any dust issues after blowing that much bulk material? IOW, how do you handle dust w/ that setup, or is it a non-issue?

All you need is gravity. The extension on top of my system is just to increase the storage capacity. My first system was just a 5 gallon bucket with a flat bottom and that worked fine. I have a bag bin in the basement so it acts like a filter. If you are trying to fill a rigid structure you will want two pipes. One to act as the inlet and the other as the outlet.

Got it - so inside the basement, the storage bin is either a fabric bag (which acts as it's own breathable filter), or for a rigid / box storage bin, one inlet for pellets, one outlet with hose vented to outside atmosphere, or attached to a cyclone separator / vac unit ?

Your system is obviously well designed, with proper pipe sizing and bulk delivery hookup.

If I may ask:

Diameter of feed pipe?

How many ground points in the piping? Multiple, or continuous loop to one ground point?

Did you need to run a section of metal pipe in-line for grounding purposes?

Does the filter bag assembly require (earth) grounding also?

4" aluminum pipe.

1 ground point going to my electrical panel.

No

No

AndrewChurchill, -Thank You- for sharing your expertise and experience, most appreciated. I learned a lot today.

VTPellets, you may want to consider larger diameter pipe to prevent binding / reduce static buildup, and storage bin outlet venting to atmosphere, or to a cyclone / pre-separator unit -> shop vac -> HEPA filter for dust mitigation ..

Lots of folks using 2.25" piping to move pellets around (YouTube has a gazillion videos of it) - just be safe, use proper grounding, and proper dust mitigation so you don't have any issues w/ your setup.

I'm using 3" PVC pipe to connect to my fill pipe. You don't want to go larger than that otherwise the pellets won't move as fast or far. I originally used 4" flexible pipe but my transfer speed slowed considerably.

Status
Not open for further replies.