How far do you drive for wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If its free....to the ends of the earth :)

I have to lug my wood 200 miles.

Wow! I think I'd reconsider wood heat with a trip like that. Unless I was doing it once every few years with a big truck.

well i spend a lot of time at my 26 acre vacation place in northern wisconsin so every time i go up i bring back a load of wood to central wi.
I have the woods, I have the motivation what would help is a bigger trailer. Unfortunately i dont have the budget for that as of yet. I make do best i can.
I can get about a half a cord back per trip...10-12 trips a year. A lot of work for mainly aspen and pine with a little maple & black ash thrown in here and there. Heres my little s-10 loaded down for a trip home. 20120729153212.jpg
20121121113914.jpg

Reactions: bigbarf48
Yeah. It always a question of how much it costs to burn all that "free" wood.

Well, I guess I'll be going the farthest. I'm getting in my Rav4, doing a 20 minute drive to fly 1000 miles or so, to then drive another 20 minutes to fell 14 fir and oak trees. How am I going to get all that wood home? Oh, it's already home (my next place to live vs. where I currently live)!

I drove 45 miles for this:

View attachment 127209

It's only a 4x8 trailer with B rated tires. I ordered C rated tires so maybe i'll feel a little more comfortable adding more wood when i go. But to drive that far for this amount of wood isn't good. It's unfortunate too, this guy has a whole huge pile of wood cut to length that i'd love to go through, I just have no way to transport.

Rent a truck and trailer.

I've scrounged all my wood within 15 miles of my house and I have yet to spend a penny for wood. Now saw's, splitter, trailer, truck, those cost $$$$$.

I am loaded up on my way home from my property I've VT. It's about 180 miles..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 94
some places prohibit bringing back wood into your area over a certain number of miles. trying to keep bug infestation down I guess. 30-40 miles for me.

I have 100 acres of Juniper about 45 minutes from me. Problem is it's so darn limb-y. Probably doesn't help that I'm mainly taking the smaller junk trees to let the big ones get better for the future :rolleyes:

New plan for this year (after a bad trip last year*), is to take the car out with the saws, C/S/S there until I have enough to warrant taking the 10mpg truck out to get it all.

*Worked all day, one saw quit, the other starting having issues, destroyed a tire on the truck, all for.... half a cord :(

some places prohibit bringing back wood into your area over a certain number of miles. trying to keep bug infestation down I guess. 30-40 miles for me.

Here in MN, a few counties are under a quarantine to control the spread of emerald ash borer. It's illegal to transport any wood out of those counties unless it's been heat treated and certified by the Department of Agriculture.

If you're camping on public land, any firewood you bring with you must be purchased from a DNR approved vendor within 50 miles of your campsite.

However, there's no restriction on how far you can haul wood to be used on private property, except that it can't be removed from any of the counties that are under quarantine.

Status
Not open for further replies.