How far from propane heater should pellet stove be located?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shield1561

Jan 11, 2009
Mooers, NY
Hi all.

I have a harman p68 that I will be installing in my new home and I'm trying to figure out the best location. I have decided the best area for heat movement, but I'm trying to figure out safety with also having a propane heater installed close by. Does anyone know how far away from a gas device the P68 should be located? I don't want to rip out the propane heater as it is the only other heat in the home and I'd like it there for backup. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

-Justin

Congrats on the P68. Excellent machine. What type of gas appliance? Is it a zero clearance type of gas fireplace?

Hi. Thanx. I have my P68 installed in my current house and I love it and can't wait to take it to the new place. The gas appliance is an Empire Direct Vent Wall Furnace. Its all enclosed with fans. According to the website for the DVC-55 which I have, its 4" for combustibles.

OK. Where does the gas line come in to the house?

CJ-SR4ever said:
OK. Where does the gas line come in to the house?

It crosses where the pellet stove would be located, only almost to the ground. The propane tanks are on the east of the house, the line comes around the south and feeds in to the furnace in the center of the south wall. The P68 would be installed to the left of the furnace, so it would be over the propane line.

-Justin

For the Harman p68, you cannot terminate the venting within 3 feet above any sort of gas line/regulator. Need to be at least 6 feet away from termination vent of another appliance and if you have an outside air kit for your gas appliance than you cannot terminate the venting within 10 feet of that. If you go on the harman website @ harmanstoves.com, click pellet stoves, select the P68, then you can download the owners manual and it has a nice chart for this type of situation. Also a list of the venting codes. I would recommend you print one out so you will have all the info you need and get that baby up and running in the new place! =)

CJ-SR4ever said:
For the Harman p68, you cannot terminate the venting within 3 feet above any sort of gas line/regulator. Need to be at least 6 feet away from termination vent of another appliance and if you have an outside air kit for your gas appliance than you cannot terminate the venting within 10 feet of that. If you go on the harman website @ harmanstoves.com, click pellet stoves, select the P68, then you can download the owners manual and it has a nice chart for this type of situation. Also a list of the venting codes. I would recommend you print one out so you will have all the info you need and get that baby up and running in the new place! =)

Awesome information. Thank you! I look foward to getting her up and running. Stay Warm! :-D

Youre welcome. Glad I could help. Just wondering, are you switching over from propane to just pellet in the new house?

CJ-SR4ever said:
Youre welcome. Glad I could help. Just wondering, are you switching over from propane to just pellet in the new house?

Honestly, I wish I was. Unfortunately, I need a backup system and the propane wall furnace will have to do. It is the only system in the house, there is no main heating source (boiler, real forced air furnace, etc).

-Justin

Having a backup is great, in my opinion. I wanted hot water heat in my house, got very high quotes, and went with a wood stove and half the normal amount of electric baseboards as a backup for the first several years. Then I put a propane furnace in when I lived away from home for a few years.

Ultimately, I tore the baseboard out of the main part of the house. The woodstove is my primary, the propane the backup, and the remaining baseboard keeps the remote bedrooms going when using the woodstove.

Having more than one heat source makes me less nervous about something breaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.