How far should outdoor burner be from house?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo-Quad

Feb 3, 2010
Illinois
I'm thinking of putting an outdoor burner in as a back up heat source and was wondering how far from the house it should be. I live in a rural area and there is no code for this.

Moved to boiler room for a more targeted response. I would think as close as safely possible. Maybe consider an indoor gasification boiler in an outbuilding?

Down wind if you are thinking of an OWB.

Accesable.

What do you have as primary, usually the Boiler is primary?

Might want to check with your insurance company. Some insurers want at least 50 feet or they asses a surcharge for wood heat. Some will not even insure any wood heated structure.

Mine is 20' and never had a problem with sparks or anything burning that wasn't supposed to. At times when the wind blows right, the smoke blows against the house. Because the soffit is vented and such, you can smell it inside the house. Doesn't happen often, but does happen. I would suggest keeping a good distance from the house. However, the further you put it, the further you have to walk in the cold, snow, ice, rain etc.

At $13.00 or more a foot for good underground pipe, put as close as you can.

My gasifier is 150' I'd say 100' to 150' is good for a gasser depending if it's up or down hill. Yes, underground pex is costly and the closer, the less the walk to it is.

Actually this is a Round Lake stove that I was planning on putting in a small well insulated enclosure and running a heavily insulated heat duct to a basement window. No I'm not a redneck, I'm a hick.....LOL. I've had this stove uninstalled in my basement but the insurance man said I can't use it unless I install his approved triple wall stove pipe. It's not worth the expense, so I thought I'd move it outdoors to use in emergencies.

So I was looking for input as to how far to put it from the house. If I get too far the air will cool down too much and it won't be worth it. Do they make a spark arrestor for a situation like this?

Just put the triple wall SS pipe in.

If you decide to get serious in the future and put in a wood-fired hydronic you can use the pipe for that unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.