How Far to Jump In

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Easyellis8

Aug 9, 2008
So IL
I'm new to wood burning business, but not a novice; I must admit that stoves and the regulations have changed quite a bit since my last time using them. I grew up using a wood stove and I'm wanting to jump back into full steam ahead, but my wife is hesitant; she is cognizant of what they are but no experience. I've been doing research for a while and I know what I want, but I'm still trying to sale (compromise) this to her. My goal was to purchase a stove (Woodstock), saw (Stihl) and the extras right away, but now I'm realizing that this might not be the wisest decision. We will relocate to S. IL next spring from Oh, what I will do is gather enough wood next year and get it stack and seasoned for the following year. By this time we should have come together on what to purchase and place it in the house.

If any of you have similiar experiences I would love to hear from you especially the WAF, she's not against it but she's thinking more about the decor and not wanting the "free standing" stove to become the focal point of our living area. I want the woodstock for its simplicity and ease of use, of course I'm paying for this, but after research this is something that I could show her how to use without having to push her out there too much. This is a big investment without having total buy in yet, I could save money by going with cheaper stove initially and doing the change out later, but that's a hassle.

EasyEd said:
I'm new to wood burning business, but not a novice; I must admit that stoves and the regulations have changed quite a bit since my last time using them. I grew up using a wood stove and I'm wanting to jump back into full steam ahead, but my wife is hesitant; she is cognizant of what they are but no experience. I've been doing research for a while and I know what I want, but I'm still trying to sale (compromise) this to her. My goal was to purchase a stove (Woodstock), saw (Stihl) and the extras right away, but now I'm realizing that this might not be the wisest decision. We will relocate to S. IL next spring from Oh, what I will do is gather enough wood next year and get it stack and seasoned for the following year. By this time we should have come together on what to purchase and place it in the house.

If any of you have similiar experiences I would love to hear from you especially the WAF, she's not against it but she's thinking more about the decor and not wanting the "free standing" stove to become the focal point of our living area. I want the woodstock for its simplicity and ease of use, of course I'm paying for this, but after research this is something that I could show her how to use without having to push her out there too much. This is a big investment without having total buy in yet, I could save money by going with cheaper stove initially and doing the change out later, but that's a hassle.

definately get her reading posts, looking at the pictures of various units, both in here and on company websites. take her with you and look at some stoves in the shops , especially the woodstock dealer if that is the unit you want to go with (a good choice IMHO they make a nice line) hearthstove makes some beautiful units as well. if the wife is heavy on the"decour" and in this , stay with the centerpiece units. as much as it pains me , the "centerpiece" look isnt our strongpoint so showing her our units may not be the ticket (i'll understand) the hard part is getting it in the door, once thats accomplished , show her the heating bill afterwards and the hook wil be set. a tip, save a heating bill from prior to getting the stove. nothing sets the hook better than cold hard numbers. i wish you well in your endeavor, and if i can assist, though you wont likely be going with our brand, be happy to answer any questions as best i can.

by the way, welcome to the hearth, you will find no better location for gaining knowledge than here.

It sounds as though (if I'm reading this correctly) you already have the place into which you're moving, so you're not talking about buying a stove now and then taking it with you to the other place next spring...is that right? You're going to start stockpiling wood at the destination? (good idea!). I s'pose a lot depends on the layout of the new home, and how much space a freestanding stove requires, and where it can be placed for best heating advantage. My wife loves our woodstoves, and participates in every aspect of woodburning except hand splitting (she's a pro with the power splitter). There are a zillion photos available of nice woodstove installations you might casually show to the wife. I'll attach a pic of our rather simple setup in our home. Welcome to the forum, and best of luck. Rick

Attachments

• stovecat2.jpg
    stovecat2.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 546
fossil said:
It sounds as though (if I'm reading this correctly) you already have the place into which you're moving, so you're not talking about buying a stove now and then taking it with you to the other place next spring...is that right? You're going to start stockpiling wood at the destination? (good idea!). I s'pose a lot depends on the layout of the new home, and how much space a freestanding stove requires, and where it can be placed for best heating advantage. My wife loves our woodstoves, and participates in every aspect of woodburning except hand splitting (she's a pro with the power splitter). There are a zillion photos available of nice woodstove installations you might casually show to the wife. I'll attach a pic of our rather simple setup in our home. Welcome to the forum, and best of luck. Rick

thats sharp fossil! i see the "owner of the house" has staked out his/her favorite spot :)

I know exactly what you mean about juming in with both feet- in the deep end! This past winter was my first burning season. Never even looked crosseyed at a woodstove before. But when I got the notice from big oil about the increase (amounting to a $3600 heating bill for this coming winter :gulp:) I made my decision before I even had that notice in the trash. I bought an insert (used, $500), Stihl ms270 ($480) log splitter (used, $550) 2 1/2 triaxle loads of logs ($1500) and just about finished building the woodshed ($600 so far, probably another $150 to go). Add in some pipe sections to go up the existing chimney, gaskets, chains, fuel, etc, another couple hundred. So, in the last 7 months, I've spent (invested ;-) ) around four grand. Right now I have two winters worth split and stacked, another winter and a half in logs. Three seasons ahead. I feel I've made the right decision. Lots of hard work, lots of good exercise, more aquaintances made, and loving the burning lifestyle :coolsmile: !

Fossil and Stoveguy, I appreciate the info. I'm trying to get her to look at stoves with me now, but she's not having it. One thing that I have going for me is a good track history, she knows that I'm not just going to jump into anything and then regret it. I'm still working with the decor issue by moving to a stove other than the "black box" as she calls it. My plan for next year is to heat with oil for the first winter and keep the bills so that I have proof in hand and then install the stove for comparison.

We will not purchase a stove now unless I run across a too good to pass up deal on a woodstock. I'm hoping that she will totally buy into this wood thing with me, I'm positive that she will not be using mauls and wedges, but just having her watch me will be good enough.

Ed

After I do my research on a particular item and I'm convinced that this is the best course of action I'm ready to go. Today, I even looked at a new truck to pull my trailer with that I do not have. I've been looking a trucks for years and my wife is tired of hearing me talk about, she is trying to convince me to get it. My vehicles are paid for and run good; I usually keep vehicles for 15 years plus. It's easy to get excited about this, but it can be pricey also. I've looked at saws, chaps, hearing and head protection, splitters and the whole nine, I have to calm myself down because I'm ready to save money. The oil/gas prices are coming down a little, but I think that $3.00 a gallon for gas will be the norm; this is my opinion so please no flames.

I guess we all should post pics for him, so he can just scroll down and show her.

Attachments

• pics 001.jpg
    pics 001.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 551
stoveguy2esw said:
...i see the "owner of the house" has staked out his/her favorite spot :)

Yeah, that's Rascal. When we're burning consistently during the winter, he rarely moves, unless it's to be even closer to the stove...I have to step around him to tend to the thing. He gets so darned hot I can hardly pet him. Rick

just for funsies, i pulled up some links for some of my favorites, take a look and maybe you will see somthing that might help with the persuasion, hope this helps ya :)

http://www.hearthstonestoves.com/

i know you know this one http://www.woodstove.com/

http://www.pacificenergy.net/

http://www.vermontcastings.com/

http://www.jotul.com/en-us/wwwjotulus/

this one is an odd look but i think these guys make some awesome looking stoves http://www.thelinco.com/stoves.htm

just for kicks, here is the link to the "super bowl" of the hearth industry. some pretty neat stuff in the vesta award winners.
http://www.hearthandhome.com/vesta/vesta.html

i probably had as much fun digging these up as i hope you have looking at them. everyone listed above in these links make a stove line worthy of admiration.(though im sure i missed a few, help me out if ya want gang) hope ya like em

Welcome. Have you taken a look at the fuel cost calculator on this site? Plug in some numbers and show her how much you will save in heating oil. Or just type in "oil" in the forum search engine and you will see what people are saving. I'd forget the idea of heating with oil your 1st year. Get your wood ready this year and buy the stove next year and burn wood. Even if she doesn't approve at first, when the cold winds start to blow she will fall in love with the wood heat. Who wears the pants in that family anyways? ;-P

Again, thanks for the input. I've already taken a stroll through most of the photo gallery, there are a lot of pretty stoves and hearths to look at. I'm trying to persuade her to purchase a home without a fire place so th at I can make my case for a corner install. She's pushing for the fireplace and then order an insert; I'm not sold on the insert yet; I like the look of the free standing stoves. I think that woodstock makes inserts also, but they are not the same.

I guess I'll come at this from another perspective, so to speak ;-)

First, I don't understand how someone would not want to do wood heat (if the logistics work), just from the financial aspects alone. I mean, unless you are J. P. Gotrocks, who doesn't want to save some $$$$'s? But, I'm very independant, it runs in the DNA :)

As I was doing my shopping, on the net and up close and personal, I saw some absolutely lovely stoves & inserts (hold that thought, if the new house has a FP, an insert might be more appealing to her, they even come on colors ;-) ) Maybe a "Hay Hon, look at this"? and have her look at the monitor ? Bring home a few brochures?

I told the SO my plans, and he was quit skeptical. Poo poo'd me for months
4-thatsbad.gif

I finally threw him in the truck 4th of July weekend, and drove off to the stove store (my 4th one, his first...with file folder in hand of house dimensions, fireplace dimensions, etc...he was impressed with this
icon_devilishgrin.gif
) HE started thinking as we walked thru, and I was asking questions from a VERY helpful and knowledgeable store manager <which is what sold me on using them for my purchase & install>!!!)

We'll get a stove in his house for supplemental heat soon, I think !

Trust me, if she's "for" the truck, a trailer is a piece of cake (I bought my trailer before I bought my truck, how's that for bold?). Baby steps, ya know (although a truck sure isn't a baby step !).

I see a natural progression here, unless she's the "won't break a finger nail type "
cat28.gif
Ofcourse, she can also learn to drive the truck, and pull the trailer. It's not rocket science! My SO has even driven my truck, and has expressed an interest in learning how to tow ! It takes time but ya gotta schmooooze 'em, if they're a keeper !

Hope I helped, and welcome to the forum !

Acckk !! You posted before I could finish !!

My 2 cents... an insert might be a good solution.

Think of "Designing For The Sexes"
1.gif
. Everyone gets what they want.

It's all about compromise ;-P

EasyEd said:
Again, thanks for the input. I've already taken a stroll through most of the photo gallery, there are a lot of pretty stoves and hearths to look at. I'm trying to persuade her to purchase a home without a fire place so th at I can make my case for a corner install. She's pushing for the fireplace and then order an insert; I'm not sold on the insert yet; I like the look of the free standing stoves. I think that woodstock makes inserts also, but they are not the same.

Woodstock doesn't have an insert, but all their stoves can be used as hearth stoves in front of fireplaces. Inserts were designed to slide into a pre existing fireplace to get better efficiency out of an inefficient fireplace. A free standing stove on a nice stone or brick hearth would be more efficient.

You definitely don't want to build a fireplace just to put an insert in it. Better to get a quality zero-clearnance fireplace that is a good heater if that is the case. RSF, BIS, FPX, Quadrafire 7100 are examples.

Before proceeding too far, here is some suggested reading material.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewannounce/13750_2/
http://www.woodheat.org/technology/woodstoves.htm
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/wood_stove_intro
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/choosing_a_wood_stove

I appreciate the female perspective. My wife is definitely not the break your nail type but she's not an Ellie Mae either; hopefully, I'm not dating myself by bringing up the Clampetts. I'm not trying to paint a bad picture of her, she's a lovely, young lady from the city with absolutely no experience with anything outdoors. We will have a stove or an insert in our home, I'm trying to be careful not to force all of this on her. There are a couple of stores within an hours drive from our home that I will take her to and we will discuss the pros and cons of each.

BeGreen said:
You definitely don't want to build a fireplace just to put an insert in it. Better to get a quality zero-clearnance fireplace that is a good heater if that is the case. RSF, BIS, FPX, Quadrafire 7100 are examples.

Before proceeding too far, here is some suggested reading material.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewannounce/13750_2/
http://www.woodheat.org/technology/woodstoves.htm
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/wood_stove_intro
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/choosing_a_wood_stove

I must admit that a zero-clearance fireplace is not on the top of my list, but in a nutshell please explain the difference between it and an insert. Is this still a wood burner or will I need gas lines? Thanks for the sites, I've read through the majority of these already. At least the articles that interested me. Say that I did have to go the insert route, can I expect the same benefits from it as the free standing?

she’s a lovely, young lady from the city with absolutely no experience with anything outdoors

Good :)

Send her to me, I'll have her cleaning stalls in no time :lol:

Hay, in less than 2 pages you've gone from "stove" to "stove or insert".

That's cool .

EasyEd said:
I got it about Zero Clearance, they do not protrude out into the hearth area like the insert.

Not exactly. A ZC fireplace is a manufactured unit that's made so that it can be installed with little or no clearance to combustibles into a prepared location. An insert is a unit made to be placed into an existing fireplace...most typically a traditional masonry fireplace. Some inserts go in flush with the front of the fireplace, some protrude out. Seems to me that if the house has no existing fireplace, what you want for a whole lot of reasons is a freestanding woodstove. Keep reading, Ed, it'll all start to make some sense.

fossil said:
EasyEd said:
I got it about Zero Clearance, they do not protrude out into the hearth area like the insert.

Not exactly. A ZC fireplace is a manufactured unit that's made so that it can be installed with little or no clearance to combustibles into a prepared location. An insert is a unit made to be placed into an existing fireplace...most typically a traditional masonry fireplace. Some inserts go in flush with the front of the fireplace, some protrude out. Seems to me that if the house has no existing fireplace, what you want for a whole lot of reasons is a freestanding woodstove. Keep reading, Ed, it'll all start to make some sense.

Thanks! The learning curve is high but well worth it in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.