How freaked out should I be?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timfromohio

Minister of Fire
Aug 20, 2007
OK, last year was our first year of pretty continuous burning. We have a PE Pacific Insert with full liner. Burned all day, would load up stove before bed and turn down oxygen (what manual says to do for overnight burns). This usually left me a nice coal bed in the morning. Just had chimney sweep come and in the process of cleaning he showed me quite a bit of relatively brown dust. He said this was indicative of burned creosote and that I had probably had a chimney fire. If I did, I never knew it. So, I suppose I should not go for the slow overnight burns anymore. He also said that wood needs a full two to three years to season - mine sits for about a year before burning.

I'm obviously freaked out that I might have had a chimney fire. I get the chimney cleaned once a year, but think I may now buy the necessary brushes and do myself more often than once per year.

Opinions?

You open the damper everymorning to get it good and hot to clear the chimney right? If that is the stuff you burned than it sounds fine. What is quite a bit? 1 or 2 cups for a year would not concern me, near clogged cap and shiney liner a quarter inch would.

I haven't had any chimney fires lately and most of what I get out of my chimneys is brown powder. Just a light coating of what I call stage 1 velvet creosote. Holding it all in your hand it may look like quite a bit but spread out over twenty or thirty feet of chimney pipe it isn't much of a coating. Especially if that was a whole season's worth.

burntime said:
You open the damper everymorning to get it good and hot to clear the chimney right? If that is the stuff you burned than it sounds fine. What is quite a bit? 1 or 2 cups for a year would not concern me, near clogged cap and shiney liner a quarter inch would.
Iam with you on that,now thats its cleaned sould be good for another year.If you think its that bad clean it 2 times a year

Educate yourself and take care of sweeping the chimney yourself. Most of the guys I've come across doing this kind of work aren't the brightest. The last one I talked to was obviously clueless, but insisted on making up "facts", though it was clear he didn't know what he was talking about. Do a little looking into what he told you before you dismiss it, but I'll bet that you'll be able to write it off. I'm not a pro, by any means, but I am educated enough to know when someone's blowing smoke up my ass.

Thanks for the input - feel a bit better after responses.

I had planned on getting equipment to clean myself - looks very easy to do (also am installing a second stove - don't want to pay double ...). I wanted a professional opinion - I don't think they guy was outright lying, maybe exaggerating a bit regarding the gravity of the situtation.

"quite a bit" was on the order of 10 cups

Yes, in the morning I open up the damper all the way, rake the coals to the front, put in some kindling and it would fire right back up. I'd then put larger pieces in and leave the damper wide open - wife would then turn down after 30 to 60 minutes (I leave for work and she and the kids wake up and come downstairs to a nice fire!).

A chimney fire is a pretty intense event. There's usually a bit more evidence around than some dust.
Like a well scorched cap or even some melted spots in shingles where some flaming particles escaped. Maybe even some large black flakes still in the gutter.

Unfortunately I've had one or two I wouldn't even want on my property on a ladder ever again.

the_dude said:
Mike from Athens said:
but I am educated enough to know when someone's blowing smoke up my ass.

Make sure you open your mouth so you get a good draft :lol:

Yeah, thanks for the advice, DUDE!

Funny side note, when I bought my last house, the phone company calls and asks how I want my name to appear in the listing. So I say I want it to say "the Dude" next to my name. After the operator comes back from talking to her supervisor, say OK. Next thing I know, I'm listed as "the dude".

I know, awesome story.

Buy a snow rake and the correct sweep for your chimney. Then not only will you have what you need to get snow off your roof, you will have the chimney cleaning tools you need as well.

Nice "good draft" comments.

I've been up on the roof multiple times prior to the chimney sweep coming and while not specifically looking for evidence of a chimney fire, never saw any obvious evidence of one. Now that I've had more time to digest and think about the situation I probably over-reacted - however, when the safety of one's family is at stake - better to over-react. That's why I had chimney sweeps in the first place - I would rather clean myself, but wanted some professional opinions since I'm a greenhorn.

To futher the funny side notes I tried a similar tactic with my title (I'm an engineer) at my last job - they asked what I wanted on the business card and just refused titles like "Scotty's helper", "supreme engineer of infinite coolness", etc.

timfromohio said:
Since we're talking about cleaning - do you guys that clean your own clean from the top side or through the stove/insert? Last year, the guy cleaned from the top. This hear the new guy cleaned through the insert from the bottom using something like the "bundle cleaning kit" pictured here:

http://www.ventingpipe.com/display.cfm?categoryID=751
i do both and i have a clean out tee,so top bottom and middle

Mike from Athens said:
the_dude said:
Mike from Athens said:
but I am educated enough to know when someone's blowing smoke up my ass.

Make sure you open your mouth so you get a good draft :lol:

Yeah, thanks for the advice, DUDE!

Funny side note, when I bought my last house, the phone company calls and asks how I want my name to appear in the listing. So I say I want it to say "the Dude" next to my name. After the operator comes back from talking to her supervisor, say OK. Next thing I know, I'm listed as "the dude".

I know, awesome story.

That is an awesome story! You could answer th phone "The Dude Abides." Good times.

timfromohio said:
Since we're talking about cleaning - do you guys that clean your own clean from the top side or through the stove/insert? Last year, the guy cleaned from the top. This hear the new guy cleaned through the insert from the bottom using something like the "bundle cleaning kit" pictured here:

http://www.ventingpipe.com/display.cfm?categoryID=751

I have a straight run from the stove to the chimney top, so I go from top down. I slip the connector pipe off of the stove, connect a paper or plastic bag to the bottom of the connector, and sweep away, one fiberglass rod length at a time. After it's all done, I replace the cap, go down to the stove, and remove the bag...very little mess, and the bag is filled up with the creosote. Usually no more than a half a lunchbag. I typically do this twice a year...more if I'm feeling ambitious.

Another reason to do it yourself...you can climb up on one of those 70 degree January days and check things out, sweep if needed before temp plummets again. Otherwise, you gotta call the sweep, wait a day or two, and freeze while you wiat for him/her to finish up. Then, pay up the $50 or so.

It is intimidating to think of the consequences of something so serious as a chimney fire. However, this is really a brainless maintenance item - after you do it yourself, you look down the chimney - it's either clean or it's not. You can repeat until you're comfortable. Seeing it yourself also can help you learn to operate the stove/insert. If it's (chimney) relatively clean after a few months, you can feel confident that you're operating things efficiently.

Just had chimney sweep come and in the process of cleaning he showed me quite a bit of relatively brown dust. He said this was indicative of burned creosote and that I had probably had a chimney fire. If I did, I never knew it.

I suppose you could have had one at night and not notice...but if you had one while you were around, you would have noticed. It's been some time since I had one but it left an impression on me..it's spookey. Though, from what I recall, the stuff that came out wasn't a brown dust....it was more like "puffy" creosote. It's hard to explain but I'd think you are fine. If you are nervous, try some TSP with your burns this year and see if that helps.

timfromohio said:
Since we're talking about cleaning - do you guys that clean your own clean from the top side or through the stove/insert?

I've been cleaning mine for years. I have a cleanout on the outside of the chimney....I pull the brush down through. I tried the rods but they were more of a struggle. I think they bent in the chimney and got bound up. Pulling it through is a piece o' cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.