How full do you load?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a pretty normal winter load for our stove. I like big splits for reloads. They burn longer.

That's a pretty normal winter load for our stove. I like big splits for reloads. They burn longer.

That is why i have started making big splits more now for in the future.

I also have a freedom, but I load the the thing as full as I can get it! I see temps around 800 and sometimes into the low 900's in the middle of the top. It is very controllable, in fact it will never reach those temps until I pull the air back and let the secondary burn take over.
Noticed there is a very recent post where a couple of people are experiencing cracks in the secondary air supply (I believe) for the lopi freedom, with questionable setting of possibly having overfired at times. In light of that, you might want to keep the temps a bit cooler .:)

Are you only burning doug fir at that size? Or are you burning hard woods that large.

I wish I could have large splits like that but it will never season in time. Even being two years ahead I can't get splits that large to dry out.
Most of my wood is oak. I try to split locust larger.

Noticed there is a very recent post where a couple of people are experiencing cracks in the secondary air supply (I believe) for the lopi freedom, with questionable setting of possibly having overfired at times. In light of that, you might want to keep the temps a bit cooler .:)
No, it's running as it should. It only achieves these temps. when the air is nearly all the way shut off, only secondary fire. This is a steel stove, it can handle the occassional hot fire. You will see interior damage if this kind of temps are maintained. In my instance this temp is only a spike, quickly drops back to the "normal" range.

No, it's running as it should. It only achieves these temps. when the air is nearly all the way shut off, only secondary fire. This is a steel stove, it can handle the occassional hot fire. You will see interior damage if this kind of temps are maintained. In my instance this temp is only a spike, quickly drops back to the "normal" range.
:)

Huntindog1 nailed it on the 1st responce to the original post. I have the Castine and couldn't agree more about filling to the gills on "every " load then regulate what I need for butrn time via wood species and air control.

Reactions: webby3650
Huntindog1 nailed it on the 1st responce to the original post. I have the Castine and couldn't agree more about filling to the gills on "every " load then regulate what I need for butrn time via wood species and air control.
Have not filled to the gills yet in this stove but based on what I have read here will certainly try it. I think I need minus 10 c outside to get this thing cranking. Bring on the cold weather so I can crank the stove!!
Kevin

After a couple of scares last year, I actually fill it during the day if I'm home but never fill it at night. This sucker has a tendency to take off like a rocket and can reach 800 within minutes after a reload if I'm not careful. It also has a tendency to take off agian after I think its settled in. Usually an overnight load consistes 3 or 4 splits of mixed oak, locust, cherry and ash(this year some elm!!!) depending on size about 11:00 and i have a pile of coals in the morning for reload(if the house isn't already 90)

This is a full load for me.......

Attachments

• DSC_0284_5623.jpg
    DSC_0284_5623.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,473
After a couple of scares last year, I actually fill it during the day if I'm home but never fill it at night. This sucker has a tendency to take off like a rocket and can reach 800 within minutes after a reload if I'm not careful. It also has a tendency to take off agian after I think its settled in. Usually an overnight load consistes 3 or 4 splits of mixed oak, locust, cherry and ash(this year some elm!!!) depending on size about 11:00 and i have a pile of coals in the morning for reload(if the house isn't already 90)

I am glad to hear that my stove is not the only brand that does that.

Are you only burning doug fir at that size? Or are you burning hard woods that large.

I wish I could have large splits like that but it will never season in time. Even being two years ahead I can't get splits that large to dry out.
Most of my wood is oak. I try to split locust larger.

I burn doug fir splits up to about 9" across. My hardwood is split to about 6-7" at the largest. Locust seems to dry out pretty well at this size.

Status
Not open for further replies.