How funky is your gasket?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rhetoric

Oct 12, 2006
Western NY
So I'm replacing the gasket in my OLD thermoplace woodstove and the gasket I took out isn't really rope. It's like a flat ribbon w/ a rope attached (though it all looks like one piece). The flat part fits into the slot. I can't find that stuff anywhere around here and when I tried to cram the rope stuff in, it (of course) didn't fit.

So, do you know what it's called and do you know where I could get some? If I ask my wife to sew a piece of flat to a piece of round, it will be the last request I ever make.

And I wanted to have the first fire TONITE! Blast.

Paul

I think its called a tape gasket, or flat gasket my stoves gasket is like 1 inch flat, cant find that at home cheapo, look on wood stove sites, only thing home cheapo has is 3 eighths round

Rutland flat window gasket is a stock item at most ACE Hardware stores. Comes with cement and costs around eight bucks.

Most of them close around eight. Go fast.

Ace has a large assortment of gaskets. I picked up some gasket cement there this weekend.

Matt

Well.... the flat stuff they had was way too thin (the slot for the ribbon is at least 3/16ths wide). Anyway, I bought some thinner rope and glued it in. It's drying as we speak (bottle says an hour and then a fire cure). We'll see if it holds. I'm afraid it being small enough to wedge into the slot will mean that it mashes too quickly and loses the seal, but what are you going to do. Upon closer inspection the original looks like rope sewed on to ribbon. If you ever hear of this stuff (or a supplier who would) let me know. The guy at Ace was flumuxed.

But you completely called it on Ace, Brother Bart. It was open till 8! This Ace was a major league wood stove supplier, too (VT, Dutchwest, etc.).

Store hours and Harbor Freight China toys and a good laugh so we can spill our coffee on our key board and get splatter on out monitors ............Yeah , We'll keep ole' Brotherbart around a wile.

Status
Not open for further replies.