How hard is it to install double wall stove pipe verses single wall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nic36

Feeling the Heat
Jan 23, 2008
Decatur, Alabama
I know this is a stupid question, but how hard is it to install double wall stove pipe in comparison to single wall? Is it a pain trying to get it connected or is it no harder than single wall? Please humor me, I have never seen double wall stove pipe other than pictures on the internet, which are not very good. No one has it in the stores here, so I have never been able to look at it up close. I know it's basically a stainless pipe inside a pipe, but I am having a hard time grasping specifically how it is installed. It just seems like it would be some trouble. Also, will there be noticeable gaps up at the stove pipe connector or at the flue of the stove, or will it fit flush with both?

I would say as easy or easier. It's designed to fit smoothly together. The flanges are predrilled and come with screws.

It really depends on the brand you buy, but I would say about 90% of the double wall stovepipe is easier or as easy to install as single wall stove pipe. The only difference really, is that you cannot cut double wall stove pipe with conventional means. You'll have to use a slip connector when using double double wall pipe to create the exact length of pipe you need. But, that's it. Really, it ain't bad at all.

OK, good. I think my clearances will be fine with single wall or a heat shield on the stove, but I would like the peace of mind of the double wall. If it was going to be too much trouble though I was going to forget about it and just get some good single wall like Heat-Fab. I am in the process of finishing the install on my chimney and I started thinking about that. I've had enough little things go wrong with this install to make me paranoid about everything now.

I'm installing a Selkirk Supervent system with the kit and pipe from Lowe's. The only pipe I really have left to buy is the stove pipe. Since the Supervent stuff is Selkirk, I guess I will try the Superpipe double wall, since it is also made by Selkirk.

Oh, and yeah, I plan to just buy a one piece adjustable pipe. I think they typically come in a 68" length, which should be long enough.

Thanks

I've learned a lot here. I would not have even attempted to do this if I had not found this site.

I have a single slip piece of double wall that runs from my ceiling to the stove top. The pros easily installed it inplace using the twist feature at the top and then extended the bottom piece down and onto the stove collar. No screws were used anywhere and it passed inspection. Couldn't have been easier for the professional installers. Make sure that the seem goes in the back out of sight.

It seemed too easy so I pointed it out to the inspector who said "yep" that's how its done. I thought it might be smart to at least screw the double wall to the stove collar but as you can imagine, this is a problem since you can't see the stove collar which is between the inner and outer walls. If I had the choice I would prefer single wall for the sake of solid connection. The double wall allows excellent clearance reduction to 6" which is highly desirable.

It should last a very long time unlike most single wall made of steel which deteriorates fairly rapidly.

Highbeam said:
I thought it might be smart to at least screw the double wall to the stove collar but as you can imagine, this is a problem since you can't see the stove collar which is between the inner and outer walls.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense. I'm glad you commented about that. This may actually work in my favor. I have a house that tends to "move" ever so slightly due to the awful shrink/swell clay it was built on. Moisture absorption or loss of moisture in the clay makes the foundation lift in wet seasons and fall in dry seasons. I have solved this somewhat by making sure the ground is always kept moist in the summer, but it still moves just a wee bit. I don't think this will be a problem. However, if the pipe on the stove is not screwed in, I'll have some wiggle room if there is some slight movement. Logically, it would seem that if the foundation lifted or fell a millimeter or two, so will the roof above the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.