how hard is it to replace door gasket on my harman p68

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronnoel

Dec 12, 2010
southernct
just noticed that the dollar bill test failed slipped out easily on handle side of door. I cant tell by looking at it what I would need to do to take off old and put on new.

Swing the door open & lift it off the stove.
Lay it flat on a table with a towel under it to protect it,
& with the handle off the edge, so it'll lie flat.
Use a pair of needle nose pliers to pull out as much of the
old gasket material as possible.
I use an old flat head screwdriver that I rounded off on a bench grinder to the shape
of the groove as a chisel & I tap it all the way around the groove to get ALL
the old gasket cement out. Wear goggles, because it'll come out of there like shrapnel.
After all the big stuff is out, use a wire brush to clean the groove.
Then use a wet sponge or towel to wipe all the dust out of the groove.
Dry the groove completely with another towel...
Lay a 1/8" bead of RTV silicone in the groove & cut one end of the gasket with a
pair of sharp scissors to get a good clean edge. I start pushing the gasket into the groove
at the midway point between the hinge posts & work my way around the door.
Do not stretch the gasket & don't cut the final end until you're almost back between the
hinge posts, 7 press the ends together.
Reinstall the door, close it & let it sit for as long as the RTV manufacturer recommends.

thanks for the good info, after 4 years this needs to get replaced, looking forward to better performance after I change it. Any idea how much$ for one of these gaskets?

Status
Not open for further replies.