How hard to convert a corn burner to a wood burner, can it be done?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DodgyNomad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2009
West Michigan
This might be a stupid question, as I'm a 100% dummy to corn burners, and know only a little of outdoor wood boilers, but humor me please. I see quite a few of these come up for sale around our area, like this one: http://cornstoves.com.bizhosting.com/universal_outdoor_corn_boiler.html

Universal outdoor corn boiler. High corn prices and the fact that these start to leak seem to make them cheap. Possible to make them into standard outdoor wood boilers with reasonable effort?

Corn right now is about $145ton compared to pellets, that's a fair savings. I am blending %50 pellets in the Harman PC45 only because I don't want to experiment with burning straight corn with extreme temps out. The feed needs to be boosted a bit with pellets because they are lighter per cu ft than corn and the air needs some tweaking as corn ignites at a higher temp so less air can be moved through corn. Only the last 2 1/2 years have I burnt a great amount of pellets as the old Whitfield that we got in 83 was only occasionally used.

Dodgy, should probably have posted to the wood burning section unless you meant wood pellets?

Status
Not open for further replies.