how hard to cut adapter collar made of 304 stainless steel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ba_jie

Oct 8, 2008
Hi,
Due to the fact that my block off plate is already in place and can't be budged, i have to cut the collar of my insert adapter to get it into the firebox venting outlet. I just wonder if an aviation snip can cut through the steel. Anyone had experience cut/sand 304 steel?

Thanks.

I cut some 304L stainless last week with my aviation snips. It cut easier than cold rolled steel does.

Kinda depends on the gauge. 304 stainless comes in lots of thicknesses. Might be relatively easy, might be a bit tough. Make sure you leave enough material for a positive connection. Rick

I agree.
Do you happen to know the right tool that can easily sand the stainless steel surface?
will a regular file do the job?

fossil said:
Kinda depends on the gauge. 304 stainless comes in lots of thicknesses. Might be relatively easy, might be a bit tough. Make sure you leave enough material for a positive connection. Rick

Well, I'm having a bit of trouble visualizing just what it is you need to do. Sure, the right kind of file can cut stainless, so can any number of other tools. Is it that you need to shorten the collar by some amount all the way around the upper circumference? If so, by how much? Aviation snips would probably be my tool of choice if that's what we're talking about here. Maybe post a pic? Rick

Sorry i didn't make myself clear.
My offset box is very roughly made. The collar had hard time to fit into the firebox. So i need to sand it to make it fit.
That's why i need a file to do the job.

My installation also gives me a lot of headache as i described. So besides sanding off some surface, i also need to cut the collar short to make the connection.

It been three weeks since i officially started the installtion. My wift has started to complain...

jie said:
...My wift has started to complain...

Hand her some tools. :coolsmirk: Rick

Don't know if it was a good thing or a bad thing!!! But the guy who helped install my liner adapter into the stove notched a tab so the damper rod could move freely and screwed this tab to the top of the stove. It seemed like a positve move to me as it would help keep the connecter piece in the stove. He also had no trouble cutting the stainless with aviation snips. It was neat to see the tricks used by these guys all the way from cutting the damper in bits with a big pipe wrench and a 6ft cheater (when a sawsall did nothing) to how they worked the flue into the stove to fit just right. Probably come from installing on average, they said, of one wood stove a day!!!! I could have done it myself but all the tricks they knew sure made it easier than for a first timer. Just got to pay more money to watch that's all. Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.