How high do you stack pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get a small generator to go along with the big one and use the big one only when you have to.
I have six cords of wood stacked to the ceiling in the garage, does that count? :) It doesn't fall because it's up against the wall and is dry.
Putting in a pellet boiler now. Haven't got pellets yet. Might put in bulk bag silo.

I have (3) 5 gallon containers plus (1) 3 gallon container. My generator is portable which means I have to wheel it out it out , start it, plug it in and throw the switch. Luckily, I've only used it once in the 5 years I've had it.

Get a small generator to go along with the big one and use the big one only when you have to.
I have six cords of wood stacked to the ceiling in the garage, does that count? :) It doesn't fall because it's up against the wall and is dry.
Putting in a pellet boiler now. Haven't got pellets yet. Might put in bulk bag silo.
Velvet , good luck with your boiler my next door neighbor got a Harman pellet furnace
PF 120 just finishing up ducting it in to the trunk line, cant wait to see it in action. like the idea of smaller generator especially when everyone turns in for the night, right now I just turn it off

Usually 12 to 15 high. I went and picked up my 3 tons of prestos I preordered today. Glad to have my two sons to help me.

Attachments

• IMAG2200-1.jpg
    IMAG2200-1.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 265
  • IMAG2202.jpg
    IMAG2202.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 249
Usually 12 to 15 high. I went and picked up my 3 tons of prestos I preordered today. Glad to have my two sons to help me.
Not sure which I admire more: The nice stacks or the price you paid for them! Interesting that you have to pay tax though? Around here pellets are tax free. It's funny though, you are still making out better - even with the tax added on.

Reactions: herdfan2003
I will be getting 3 tons in a couple weeks. I will try and stack 1 1/2 ton on 2 total pallets to try and save space
Realizing everyone's situation is different, just want to make you aware that 3 tons might not be enough to get you through the winter. We don't burn full time - only when we are home - and we go through about 3.5 tons in a typical winter (more last winter). If you are space constrained, just try be diligent about replenishing your supply as you burn through it. Don't want to end up caught up in a supply/demand fiasco like we saw last winter.

Reactions: herdfan2003
Not sure which I admire more: The nice stacks or the price you paid for them! Interesting that you have to pay tax though? Around here pellets are tax free. It's funny though, you are still making out better - even with the tax added on.

Yep, we really can't complain about the price here. The most I've paid is $219 a ton I believe....+ tax of course..:)

Wife use to complain about me having a big stash of Set's. After last years shortage she say order what you need. I have 11 tons at my house ready for this year and next year. Have to get the 6 moved inside the house soon.

I have a big genny an a small inverter. Us the genny till bed time then set up inverter with battery for the over night. works great !!

Wife use to complain about me having a big stash of Set's. After last years shortage she say order what you need. I have 11 tons at my house ready for this year and next year. Have to get the 6 moved inside the house soon.

I have a big genny an a small inverter. Us the genny till bed time then set up inverter with battery for the over night. works great !!
I think you are correct, gonna get at least another ton, and a smaller genny for nighttime

My wife thinks I'm nuts for having 6 tons piled up downstairs.

First year we had the stove I bought 4 tons and we only used 3. Last year I bought 3+ to go with my leftover ton. Wife thought I was being ridiculous...until a long cold winter and pellet shortage, then she came around :)
I plan on 4-5 tons this season just to be safe.

Given how cool this summer has been, i'm stocking an extra ton this year.

Given how cool this summer has been, i'm stocking an extra ton this year.

You'll sleep better. I debated for a while about how much to get for our first season burning. Most say they use 2-4 tons and a couple have said 5-6, so we're getting a tad over 7.

I usually burn 3.5
Last year i burned 4.5, but my ex gf was living with me... and she's 'tropical' (from an equator country) so i kept the place warmer than i would have if it was just myself.
She left me, so I have a few degrees of wiggle room this season, so the 4.5 again shold be more than enough. I'm going to stock 4- 60 bag pallets this year, so about 4.5 again.

In previous years, I've started each heating season with 4 tons plus whatever was left over the previous year. I typically average 3 1/2 tons. Even with the cold winter we had last year, I only used 3 1/2 tons. I even had sufficient surplus to sell a few of my spares to fellow pellet burners who found themselves short.

I am fairly certain that will have over 3 tons left as next winter winds down. If pellet shortages rear their ugly heads again, I'll help out whoever I can.

We stack wrapped full pallets of pellets four pallets high.
As long as they are well stacked you can stack as high as you like.
The load is spread evenly enough for the pellets to carry the weight. Remember that these pellets are probably stored in silos before bagging which can hold 100s of tonnes on a very small footprint.
Chickenman has it right. As long as the bags are tightly stacked, damage to the pellets due to weight isn't an issue. We stack our pellets two skids high and I've seen pictures of manufacturer warehouses with them up to four skids high.

Usually 12 to 15 high. I went and picked up my 3 tons of prestos I preordered today. Glad to have my two sons to help me.[/quote

Last winters' pellet shortage forced/allowed the big box stores to bring in many different pellets. Pres to Logs, / to me was the best . Above average heat ,ash not bad. Lignetics a close 2nd
Nice score with a great price . Tax seems odd. Likely a nod to big coal.

Edit / In my case., the cellar allows me to Stack 15 rows high.

Last edited:
14 high. floor to ceiling

Till my shoulder gives me grief, about 5 and half feet.

I'm hand-stacking on pallets in my cellar and trying to fit every bag possible on a given footprint. What's the highest you stack? If one 40x48" pallet has five bags on each layer, should I stop at 10 layers/1 ton, 15 layers/1.5 ton, or can I get away with 20 layers/2 ton before compromising the bottom of the stack? This site estimates a standard pallet can hold 4600 lbs, so the foundation isn't an issue.
I have stacked 2 ton on one pallet quite often. I hand stack but you could put a piece of plywood 40X48 on top of the first ton and put the second on top of it without hurting anything. I like to hand stack as that way I can usually tell if I have a damaged bag or moisture trapped in the plastic wrappings that fit around the stacked bags.

Status
Not open for further replies.