How high off the floor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

48rob

Feeling the Heat
Oct 11, 2010
Illinois
Is there a general rule for how high a wood stove should be off the floor?
Not for combustible clearances, but for best operation, and best for easy loading (sore back).

Of course one would guess that the legs/base as manufactured would be the designed height, but what of a raised hearth, etc.

I'm installing mine on a concrete floor, with a ceiling height of 8'-4".
It will be 30" from floor to the top of the stove.
After running the pipe, and seeing how low I'll need to bend down, I'm wondering if I shouldn't shorten the pipe by 4-8" (or more?) and install the stove on bricks, etc, for easier access.

Rob

We've seen some nice setups with the stove on a raised platform. The platform should be very solid. Stoves weigh a lot. The governing rule in this case may be the clearance to ceiling requirement of the stove. What make/model are we talking about here?

It is an Englander 50-TVL17

Due to arrive at the shipping terminal tomorrow!

yhst-79442520702240_2132_1603199

Rob

WooHoo! I'd call Englander, to see if they have an alcove clearance spec or minimum ceiling height. The docs don't show this clearance requirement. Given its design with the convective top plate, I would think elevating it a foot or so would not be an issue, but they should be consulted to confirm this. If you do this, be sure that the base platform is very solid and rigid.

Status
Not open for further replies.