1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

How high off the ground would you make a Buck 91?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by David Tackett, Nov 16, 2012.

1. David Tackett

David Tackett Member

Loc:
    Waynesburg, Kentucky
    Tomorrow a friend and I are going to make legs for the 91 model stove I just bought. How tall would you make them? I was thinking 7 inches.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Can't you buy the stock legs? If not you are on the right track. I think that stove has a double wall bottom - if so, 7 inches should do the job - BUT, what matters more is what type of hearth it is sitting on.
    PapaDave likes this.
  3. David Tackett

David Tackett Member

Loc:
    Waynesburg, Kentucky
    I have priced the stock legs from $119 to $199, I can make some for free with materials I already have. Floor is in basement, it is slate on concrete.
  4. ddddddden

ddddddden Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Va
    I'd put it at a height that makes loading easy.
    My stove is on a 20"-high hearth. I like it.:)
  5. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Oh, with that floor you are OK.
    Just make certain you use hardened bolts and also that the legs are sturdy - you don't want the thing falling over and out of the stove pipe!
    Woody Stover likes this.
  6. David Tackett

David Tackett Member

Loc:
    Waynesburg, Kentucky
    I am making the legs out of tube steel and I am welding them to the stove.
  7. davidmc

davidmc Member

Loc:
    NE Alabama
    Mine are 8 5/8"....stove is that distance off floor.

David
  8. David Tackett

David Tackett Member

Loc:
    Waynesburg, Kentucky
    Well, we finished the legs this morning. Just went ahead and made them 10".
  9. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    I haven't been on the forums too much lately, as I've been busy with the 91 at my MIL's house. I saw in your reply on my "install" post that you had picked up a 91. Awesome! :cool: I wish I had seen your other posts; I would definitely responded with what I've found so far, limited as it may be. All indications so far is that the 91 is going to be a great heater! :ZZZ
    I took the combustor out and simmered it in a 50/50 distilled vinegar/distilled water bath for half an hour, then two 15 min. baths in scalding pure distilled water. Then I roasted it in the oven for an hour at 300* to dry the moisture out of the interam gasket between the cat and its steel "can." Have a combustor housing mounting gasket on hand, and you'll need 2" interam gasket between the combustor and the housing. I can't remember if I put a double layer around the Buck cat also, or just around the steel cat in my SIL's Fireview, which I did at the same time. Never hurts to have extra on hand, though, so you could get a couple extra lengths while you're at it. My combustor appears to be working well at four years old. A guy at the stove store told me that they should go 8 yrs, anyway. At $300 for a replacement, I sure hope so. _g
    "Tube steel?" Is it fairly thick tubing?
    Some pics of the legs you installed, and the stove, would be nice. And, have you burned it yet?? ==c I'll be posting a thread soon about burning mine...
  10. David Tackett

David Tackett Member

Loc:
    Waynesburg, Kentucky
    I used 2 inch square tube steel 1/4" thick with 5/16 3X3 plate on top and bottom of legs with Grade 8 bolts welded to plate.

Here are some photos of our work, not finished yet, still need to sand and paint.
    Cut off saw cutting plate steel.
    [​IMG]
    One finished leg.
    [​IMG]
    Stove on legs.
    [​IMG]
  11. David Tackett

David Tackett Member

Loc:
    Waynesburg, Kentucky
    Oh, and this is my stove in my garage, where we did the work and yes the propane tanks are empty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. David Tackett

David Tackett Member

Loc:
    Waynesburg, Kentucky
    This photo shows where we welded up the bolt holes for the chimney surround. I will finish sanding the top and paint it this week. I hope to have this stove installed by this weekend sometime.

[​IMG]
  13. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Something tells me that stove will not be falling down any time soon.