How high off the ground would you make a Buck 91?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

David Tackett

Oct 17, 2012
Waynesburg, Kentucky
Tomorrow a friend and I are going to make legs for the 91 model stove I just bought. How tall would you make them? I was thinking 7 inches.

I have priced the stock legs from $119 to $199, I can make some for free with materials I already have. Floor is in basement, it is slate on concrete.

Mine are 8 5/8"....stove is that distance off floor.

David

Well, we finished the legs this morning. Just went ahead and made them 10".
I haven't been on the forums too much lately, as I've been busy with the 91 at my MIL's house. I saw in your reply on my "install" post that you had picked up a 91. Awesome! :cool: I wish I had seen your other posts; I would definitely responded with what I've found so far, limited as it may be. All indications so far is that the 91 is going to be a great heater! :ZZZ
I took the combustor out and simmered it in a 50/50 distilled vinegar/distilled water bath for half an hour, then two 15 min. baths in scalding pure distilled water. Then I roasted it in the oven for an hour at 300* to dry the moisture out of the interam gasket between the cat and its steel "can." Have a combustor housing mounting gasket on hand, and you'll need 2" interam gasket between the combustor and the housing. I can't remember if I put a double layer around the Buck cat also, or just around the steel cat in my SIL's Fireview, which I did at the same time. Never hurts to have extra on hand, though, so you could get a couple extra lengths while you're at it. My combustor appears to be working well at four years old. A guy at the stove store told me that they should go 8 yrs, anyway. At $300 for a replacement, I sure hope so. _g
"Tube steel?" Is it fairly thick tubing?
Some pics of the legs you installed, and the stove, would be nice. And, have you burned it yet?? ==c I'll be posting a thread soon about burning mine...

I used 2 inch square tube steel 1/4" thick with 5/16 3X3 plate on top and bottom of legs with Grade 8 bolts welded to plate.

Here are some photos of our work, not finished yet, still need to sand and paint.
Cut off saw cutting plate steel.
2012-11-17_09-02-05_249.jpg

One finished leg.
2012-11-17_10-38-56_872.jpg

Stove on legs.
2012-11-17_11-50-26_624.jpg

Oh, and this is my stove in my garage, where we did the work and yes the propane tanks are empty.

2012-11-17_09-04-44_64.jpg

2012-11-17_11-51-03_294.jpg

This photo shows where we welded up the bolt holes for the chimney surround. I will finish sanding the top and paint it this week. I hope to have this stove installed by this weekend sometime.

2012-11-18_14-02-21_708.jpg

Something tells me that stove will not be falling down any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.