How High Should Class A Pipe Extend Beyond the Top of The Chimney That Contains It?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renovation

Oct 26, 2010
SW MI near Saugatuck
Hi Folks,

I'm wondering is there is a requirement or best practice for how high class A pipe should extend above the top of the chimney chase that surrounds it? The chimney itself will more than satisfy the 2/3/10 rule, so that isn't the issue. I'm wondering how high the pipe should extend above the chimney chase itself? Just enough to get the cap and flashing on, or should it be higher for safety/drafting/etc?

Thanks for your guidance!

As long as the cap is not obstructed by the old chimney and you are 3 feet higher than the chimney penetration and 2 feet higher than anything within 10 feet of the chimney opening. If so, then I can't find a reason you wouldn't be good to go.

A picture could always be useful if you had a specific concern about the chimney setup.

pen

pen said:
As long as the cap is not obstructed by the old chimney and you are 3 feet higher than the chimney penetration and 2 feet higher than anything within 10 feet of the chimney opening. If so, then I can't find a reason you wouldn't be good to go.

A picture could always be useful if you had a specific concern about the chimney setup.

pen

Hi Pen!

Thanks for your help.

Apologies for being unclear. Put more clearly, I mean to ask: I'm wondering is there is a requirement or best practice for how high class A pipe should extend above the top of the chimney chase that surrounds it?

Not another chimney, but it's own chimney. As I understand it, the chimney is the external structure, that can contain one or more flues. (I've been digging around in the Wiki. ;) )

What do you think?

Thanks again.

ah, so a combustible chase then?

pen

pen said:
ah, so a combustible chase then?

pen

Yessir! I'm concerned about good practices, being obsessive about it. It looks like most have minor extension above the case, and metal flashing on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.