How high should OAK vent be?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickster

Jul 19, 2008
CT
Hi all,

Ready to cut a hole in my wall. Ideal location from inside the home puts the outside intake vent at about 16" above my back deck.
I don't want it to suck in any snow, even though the roof overhang tends to keep large drifts from this side of the house.
What do you guys think?

Check your local building codes before you cut any holes....

No specific height recommendations in the manual (Quad)
I doubt building codes list it. I was wondering if anyone had any practical experience, good or bad?

Rickster said:
No specific height recommendations in the manual (Quad)
I doubt building codes list it. I was wondering if anyone had any practical experience, good or bad?
I think as long as its a min. 3' high from the stove you can put it anywhere. Don't put it where it will soot up the woodwork (sofit) or you will be cleaning/painting it anually.
Mine is 5' high which isn't good either because its dumping smoke out in your face when you walk by it. It was already there though when the house was built it was a gas log vent and didn't matter but now that itss a stove vent, higher or lower would be nice.
So consider where the smoke/soot will be going...

I would say min height would be Just above your average snow fall. There should be something in your building code laws(as others have said).

My local code was the same as the exhaust outlet. 36" min.

jay

This is what the Travis Industries instructions were for my Astoria:

• Must not be over 15' long.

• Must be made with 1 3/4" diameter or larger metal or aluminum duct with a metal screen attached to the end to keep out rodents (P.V.C. or other combustible materials may not be used).

• Must not terminate above or within 1' of the chimney termination.

• Must have a rain cap or down-turned elbow to prevent water from entering.

• Must be located so that it will not become plugged by snow or other material.

go into the atic and be done with it.

macman said:
This is what the Travis Industries instructions were for my Astoria. . . Must not terminate above or within 1' of the chimney termination. . .

I'm curious, how do the wall thimbles that have the OAK in it get around this? Some pipe I've heard use the space between the outer and inner pipe as the OAK and terminate very close together?
Mike -

Dr_Drum said:
macman said:
This is what the Travis Industries instructions were for my Astoria. . . Must not terminate above or within 1' of the chimney termination. . .

I'm curious, how do the wall thimbles that have the OAK in it get around this? Some pipe I've heard use the space between the outer and inner pipe as the OAK and terminate very close together?
Mike -
Dr Drum,

I take it this is what your refering to? See attachment.

The cap has a shroud facing the house. Distance is close to a foot with small outlet more with 45º.

jay

Attachments

• Project01.jpg
    Project01.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 533
jtakeman said:
Dr_Drum said:
macman said:

Mike -
Dr Drum,

I take it this is what your refering to? See attachment.

The cap has a shroud facing the house. Distance is close to a foot with small outlet more with 45º.

jay

nice system i must admit , and carries a UL listing so it must meet code, notice they use a "jet" rather than a "hood" so exhaust is directed away which has to help in the "clean intake" arguement which is the reason for the seperation.

my take on OAK BTW is ensure its not in a position where it can get buried in snow, leaves or anything else which could cut off intake air to the stove. common sense is usually a good guide, note also that different climate zones produce different weather so a "catchall" distance wouldnt be kind to our southern friends who will likely not see a 3 foot snowfall. err on the side of caution , but use your knowlege of your own climate and fudge high from that, you should be ok.

Clay H said:

That I believe would violate code. You are not supposed to pull outside air from attics or garages. You can come out the soffit through the attic though.

jtp10181 said:
Clay H said:

That I believe would violate code. You are not supposed to pull outside air from attics or garages. You can come out the soffit through the attic though.

Really, hmmm, here in OK we can pull intake air from the atic, the atic is well vented so i don't understand the problem but I"ll take your word for it.
I'm in the country and not subject to any codes - thus the reason i went to the country.

It may not in fact be a building code, but every gas and wood fireplace we sell has it right in the directions not to pull air from the attic. Most of whats in those directions is derived from nationally accepted building codes. Not sure the reasoning behind it, but not all building codes actually make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.