How hot before overfiring?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the p series certainly throws a lot of radiant heat. I see we have the same stove and are getting temps that are close. What number do you normally run that p61stove on?
Rarely run on stove temp. Mostly room temp. But when I did use stove temp it was never over 3 really. I used stove temp for the beginning of last year which was my first year with the stove.

As long as there is good air flow coming out of that Harman it is fine, if you have young kids you might want to place those stoves behind some railing.

You absolutely want to be certain that your floor protection meets or exceeds the requirements in the manual and that you are aware of any changes to those requirements. They did change them to require thermal protection as well as ember protection under a number of their stoves.

As long as there is good air flow coming out of that Harman it is fine, if you have young kids you might want to place those stoves behind some railing.

You absolutely want to be certain that your floor protection meets or exceeds the requirements in the manual and that you are aware of any changes to those requirements. They did change them to require thermal protection as well as ember protection under a number of their stoves.
All very good reminders smokey!

I got a screen to put in front of my stove to protect the kiddos.

I believe the stove would shutdown or go to a maintenance burn if there want enough convection airflow causing it to overheat correct?

My stove was in the batch that required eternal protection and the dealer want aware of it. Had to convince them that the ember protection board they sold me wasn't in agreement with the install guidelines.

Propane burners can reach 1000 degrees.

Wood could hit 500. It wouldn't melt steel though. Wouldn't even glow or wimper at that temperature. I pour liquid lead and liquid tin every week. Hundreds of pounds at a time.

I use sticks of wood as flux for my lead. It carbons and smolders releasing ash which traps impurities.

I could see 500 on a stove surface if that's part of the firebox?

We had a case of that convection fan scenario on here just recently the stove did fine a bit of moisture under the hooper lid and bit of an other than normal smell.

The fan kind of lost it, it had been operated a bit too long all plugged up.

IIRC the owner had bought a house with the stove in it, now has a scare induced degree in keeping it clean.

I've had my 25 PDVC up to 450F on setting 6 for heat and the room blower at 7.

same here... and I have two Rutland therm's and they both read the same in the same location (combustion side of the 25 PDVC).

I once had a magnetic therm pinned and actually fall off the stove pipe on a Old Mill wood stove,... it pinned at 1000 degrees then fell off.:eek:

I was stuck with a Uncle of mine when I was young and his small wood stove was glowing in the dark. Major storm outside. Had to have a neighbor come and dig the trailer house door open so we could get out. I use to demonstrate forging steel bells and steel glowing in daylight is close to 1000 and is easly formed at 1200. The stove with formed corners etc is strenghtend by such. Love the radiant heat that most stoves just don't have.

Ya know boilers will do that if they loose water and don't shut down.

This happened some time ago.

Got a call one day at work, the boiler that heated our apartment is not working, the unit's auto fill system failed and the boiler went dry, my wife was wondering how come the radiators weren't getting warm. Didn't think much of it for a little while and then since they weren't getting warm she went down the stairs to the basement to see this orange glow where our boiler was.

She cut the power to the boiler and called the fire department.

Long story short the low water cut off had also failed (incorrect installation, professionally installed, etc .. oh well).

ETA: Now does everyone understand why I tend to harp about proper installations and don't care who the he double did the install and that I don't mind it when people look over my shoulder and point out things. The more eyes the better.

I would also consider a stove over fired if the vent starts to glow. Actually I would get nervous if the exterior of the vent went above 200.

My IR thermometer checks out against other thermometers (checked against my oven and other references) it may be off, but not by much. Stove paint is flat black, which should be ideal for a cheap IR thermometer.

I didn't mean 'cheap' as in junk. I meant cheap as in inexpensive and a very accurate on most surfaces but some cause issues.

I didn't mean 'cheap' as in junk. I meant cheap as in inexpensive and a very accurate on most surfaces but some cause issues.
I got your meaning and I didn't take offense. My $30 IR thermometer certainly doesn't have the features of a $750 lab model and I do consider it cheap. That doesn't mean that it doesn't work well. I was just indicating that I don't trust any measurement instrument until I check it against some known reference.​

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
When any part of the stove turns red, you have over-fired.

Reactions: mepellet
I never checked the temperature but my P61 throws a ton of radiant heat, it was the first thing I noticed compared to other pellet stoves.

It is very much like a wood stove.

Thats why the clearances are 13 inches from the firebox compared to usually 2 or 3 inches from most other stoves.

They also sell side heat shields.

I would guess that mine also gets to 500 degrees when burning under a load.

Thats why the Harman P series stoves are so great they are the best of both worlds between wood and pellet stoves.

Any external part of a pellet stove turns red it's overfired. There's alot of heaters and stoves that glow red. My stirrer on my pc45s glow all the time. Will probably get to see how hard I can fire as the weather prediction is for 9 for a high with 25 mph winds monday. You all east of the mississippi better have the stove clean and ready. I think we may have a winter this year.

Your stove is over-fired whenever any part of your stove surrounding the burn pot warps or cracks. It does not have to glow.

X1

I think we should sell OMV's stash and invest in an infrared camera and just share it amongst ourselves.

All in favor?

I think we should sell OMV's stash and invest in an infrared camera and just share it amongst ourselves.

All in favor?

Hey OMV is OK, we get to keep him worrying about his stash so we can't just make off with all of it to buy IR cameras.

What would he do? Go hide in his room and sulk?

Your stove is over-fired whenever any part of your stove surrounding the burn pot warps or cracks. It does not have to glow.
Unless it was made in China, God only knows what they make anything of.

All in favor?
Hell we could sell OMV's stash and all get Harman's ==c

While we are dreaming, get someone to clean them once a month or so too.

There used to be a pellet made called pinnacle. When I burned them on high the heat exchanger would glow red. I had to turn the feed rate down by over half to prevent this. Those pellets would leave a light gray ash and you never got a clinker. It was strange how it over fired the stove just changing brands of pellets

There used to be a pellet made called pinnacle. When I burned them on high the heat exchanger would glow red. I had to turn the feed rate down by over half to prevent this. Those pellets would leave a light gray ash and you never got a clinker. It was strange how it over fired the stove just changing brands of pellets
Where can I buy some?

Status
Not open for further replies.