How hot can glass get?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leftyscott

Apr 6, 2009
arkansas
I had my hottest fire of the year in the Quad last night. Why I did this when it was a not so cold 40 deg. out remains a mystery. Yes, it was 87 deg. upstairs at 10:00. Actually found a bunch of seasoned wood in a pile that I missed earlier this winter.

Anyway, I back the air all the way down... fan was running very low.

Took temp readings shortly thereafter. Got a 725 on the glass and a 630 on the stovepipe near the bottom where it connects to the box. Just curious about high temps on glass.

Thanks.

Well, remember its not actually "glass" in your door. It's actually a clear ceramic which you can pretty much throw in a blast furnace and not hurt it as far as I know.

I agree with the above comment about it being clear ceramic. "Clearly", it can withstand 725 Degrees!

I'll bet it can get upwards of 1500 before it melts.

Yep, it's ceramic... also if you took those temps with an IR.. well, glass or ceramics, don't read well.

NeoCeram is a common replacement glass for stoves, not sure if it's what is in them from the factory, but it's maker says it will withstand temps to 1292°F.

robax and neoceram are both good for 1400 deg + (at least thats what the little sticker says that comes on all the glass we get at the shop)

leftyscott said:
I had my hottest fire of the year in the Quad last night. Why I did this when it was a not so cold 40 deg. out remains a mystery. Yes, it was 87 deg. upstairs at 10:00. Actually found a bunch of seasoned wood in a pile that I missed earlier this winter.

Anyway, I back the air all the way down... fan was running very low.

Took temp readings shortly thereafter. Got a 725 on the glass and a 630 on the stovepipe near the bottom where it connects to the box. Just curious about high temps on glass.

Thanks.

87 deg!!!! I think 80 is hot!

Thanks for the education.... appreciate all the knowledge here.... again.

On the topic of woodstove glass, I have a question that's been in my mind lately.

Would it be ok or foolish to stack splits against the glass? I could fit two more splits in the stove if I lay them against the glass (I only use the side door on the Oslo).

Peter SWNH said:
On the topic of woodstove glass, I have a question that's been in my mind lately.

Would it be ok or foolish to stack splits against the glass? I could fit two more splits in the stove if I lay them against the glass (I only use the side door on the Oslo).

My owners manual says not to. That said, my guess is the biggest problem might be closing the door against a split and breaking the glass, I know I have read on here of it happening. If you always load from the side door, a fellow *could* fabricate a couple andirons and weld them in front of the front door. At least on my stove I could do that. and have thought about doing it, as others with the same stove as I have had trouble with splits rolling into the glass with regularity. I don't seem to have suffered that yet, but it would be no big deal to protect the bottom 4" or so of glass.

I too have read and heard about wood falling during the burn and breaking the glass. Best not to tempt fate.

My glass in my Napoleon 1402 is starting to develop a cloudy spot, so I think I'll change the glass for next year. I don't mind spending $100 or so for a little maintenance when it saves me so much more than that.

Anyway, after I get the new glass, I think I'll take my acetylene torch to the old glass and see what happens when I get it nice and hot. Who knows, maybe I can even flow out the cloudy spot, since I believe that after about 5 years the glass starts to etch on the inside.

ControlFreak said:
Anyway, after I get the new glass, I think I'll take my acetylene torch to the old glass and see what happens when I get it nice and hot. Who knows, maybe I can even flow out the cloudy spot, since I believe that after about 5 years the glass starts to etch on the inside.

I hope I don't have to tell you to wear some kind of suitable eye protection and maybe even body armor when you do that. You should also take pictures or even some video.

Peter SWNH said:

I'm thinking you could probably do so . . . but a) there is a risk of breakage albeit slight if one split or round rolls against the glass, b) the glass will most likely smudge up and get black (this happens to me when I have a chunk of wood break off and lean against the glass and c) I wonder if those two extra splits would make a whole lot of difference in terms of heat or burn time.

Hi -

Only a bit of topic - 30 years ago Some of my shipmates would take a ceramic steam/water pressure sight glass that measures about 1/2" x 1" x 8" and drop or toss it behind someone who was a bit sleepy in their preformance. The loud ringing noise was very effective at waking them up. This carried on for months until one day instead of a loud ringing "Jangle" There was just a LOUD "BANG"!! The entire glass shattered into pieces that measured about 1/4" square.... The peices went everywhere.

ATB
Mike P

removed duplicate post

Status
Not open for further replies.