How Hot can the Stove Room get?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleAnthony

Jan 19, 2009
Southern Maine
How hot can the stove room get before it's dangerous? We have a slow box fan out of the room and a cold return fan on the floor, but the temperatures sometimes reach 88 degree in the room.

The ceiling in the room is a little low for a fan--any ideas?

Is this dangerous? Thanks!

It shouldn't be a problem unless you store ice cream in in there.

My old man used to have a Vermot Castings Definat in a 10x14 room in the finished basement of a two story log home. That thing would consistantly get that room to over 110+ without problems. He did have two floor ducts cut in to the celing (floor for the room above). It would throw so much heat, we rarely had to run the stove on the top floor.

I had my stove set at #6 a few weeks ago... St Croix recommends you do that for 20-30 minutes everyday to help keep the stove free of soot and ash. Anywho... I laid down on the couch and woke up 60 minutes later and it was 94F in the living room... whew!

The last time I was that hot was on prom night in the back seat of my 61 Chevy!!!!

And, for the smartass's out there, YES... I had a DATE with me!!!

krooser said:
I had my stove set at #6 a few weeks ago... St Croix recommends you do that for 20-30 minutes everyday to help keep the stove free of soot and ash. Anywho... I laid down on the couch and woke up 60 minutes later and it was 94F in the living room... whew!

The last time I was that hot was on prom night in the back seat of my 61 Chevy!!!!

you sure it was 61 cause i'm thinkin 51..... :p was yor dates name Mary- Palm???

woodsman23 said:
krooser said:

you sure it was 61 cause i'm thinkin 51..... :p was yor dates name Mary- Palm???

Nope...'61 droptop...283/3 on the floor.

I usually keep my stove on the second setting and the room normally gets up to 85 degrees within a few hours. I have a ceiling fan set to winter settings to move the air around. I normally run the stove for about 5 hours then turn it off for about 2 hours or so. It just gets too hot. Its like i tell the wife, if its summer and its 85 you want to put the ac on, so why would you want me to keep the stove running if its 85 degrees. Im from the school of "damn, maybe this stove needs a break". I know they are built to run all the time, but i feel that running it 24x7 may mess up a fan or a motor somewhere. Am I wrong?

KatWill thank you for your comment! We just learned something about our ceiling fans that we didn't know.

We couldn't figure out what the summer/winter settings were--we looked at our fans and they all have a switch on the side and it reverses the direction of the blades!

Lived here for fourteen years and never knew we could do that!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks a million!

Krooser,

Did your 61 drop top look as nice as the pickup truck you built for your wife?

Ranger

UncleAnthony said:
KatWill thank you for your comment! We just learned something about our ceiling fans that we didn't know.

We couldn't figure out what the summer/winter settings were--we looked at our fans and they all have a switch on the side and it reverses the direction of the blades!

Lived here for fourteen years and never knew we could do that!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks a million!

You will find that helps greatly to distribute heat. No more layer of wasted heat on ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.