How hot COULD a 30NC get if you overfired it with ideal conditions for highest temps?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeyCity

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2011
Western Pa
Don't worry. I have not conducted any such experiment but I have seen my top hit about 850 a couple times when I walked away after a reload.

What is the hottest anyone ever got theirs by accident ?

A large coffee can of ash helped slow it down fast - but the thing was so hot it scorched me to open the door and be near it.

SmokeyCity said:
Don't worry. I have not conducted any such experiment but I have seen my top hit about 850 a couple times when I walked away after a reload.

A large coffee can of ash helped slow it down fast - but the thing was so hot it scorched me to open the door and be near it.

ya i get mine there around with my inaccurage imperial stovetop thermo.... i just let her burn! i swear that stove seems like it loves to live around 750f

We are not telling you Smokey.......your mind is wandering again.... :gulp:
I am keeping my eye on you mister.... :mad:

GAMMA RAY said:
We are not telling you Smokey.......your mind is wandering again.... :gulp:
I am keeping my eye on you mister.... :mad:

I guess I'm on double secret probation :=)

SmokeyCity said:
I guess I'm on double secret probation :=)

It is no secret.

This hot:
forest-52.jpg

greythorn3 said:
SmokeyCity said:

ya i get mine there around with my inaccurage imperial stovetop thermo.... i just let her burn! i swear that stove seems like it loves to live around 750f
+1 let er burn. Sooner or leater we have all seen those temps. it happens.

my nc13 seems to favor 675-725

Yep englander 13 and 30 love that 600-750 range ( 450-600 with the blower cranking) although that upper end is a bit scary to me after having a overfire with a previous stove a number of years ago ( double wall flue pipe to ceiling glowing a very dull red with the room lights out). So I guess I tend to be rather conservative. Even at that I have had a couple burns that seemed to have cleaned up the top of the triple wall( 20 ft flue), but not a flue fire of any type. Even at magnetic temp gauge of 700 ( dang thing is very close to the infared gun, go figure) double wall flue inside is may be not quite at 400 externally according to my infared gun at 2 ft or so above stove. Never checked the draft rate on it, on the to do list.

My 30 has run away from me more times than I would like to admit. Seems fine, I just need to get some paint to touch up the collar. After I obstructed half of the secondray intakes, it runs a bit more on the normal side, although I think the 30 really cruises well at 600-650.

When I first got the stove last year, I alway knew when it was getting a bot too hot because I smelled the paint. Now that the new smell is gone, it is a bit tougher. If I look at the wall upstairs where my RF thermometer read out is and it tells me the basement is 98 degrees, my antennas go up.

This morning I hit 900 for the first time on the NC30. My wood is not ideal and in the low 20's for moisture. Normally I am able to adjust to the not so dry wood but this time was different. I started a fire on a cold stove using super cedars and everything seemed typical. Oddly, I couldn't close the air past half way though or I would snuff out the fire. The stove didn't want to get past 400 degrees stove top and 300 degrees internal flue temp

Its oak so I figured I needed to add some cut up pallet pieces to help get things hot enough to ignite the secondaries. The air was shut down to about 20% or so and I was getting descent secondaries so I hopped in the shower. When I got out of the shower I noticed the "new paint smell". I ran downstairs to find a blazing inferno with massive secondaries and a stovetop at 900, internal flue was at 950. I shut the air down to just about closed and turned on the blower.

I turned the lights out to see if there was anything glowing and thankfully there wasn't. Within minutes it stabilized in the 600's with a flue temp of 550.

I have a hard time running the stove below 600 on a reload or when secondaries light up. It honestly likes the 600-750 range. My observation is that to get descent burn times you need to pack it with more wood. On the NC30 the more wood you put in there the hotter it likes to run!

Status
Not open for further replies.