How hot does it get under a pedestal stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cjgoode

Aug 30, 2016
Sylva Nc
I picked up an Osburn 2200 pedsetal stove I am going to install. I have triple wall SS stove pipe and wall thimble to go through and up. I need to build a raised hearth and I want to run fresh air to under the stove and have a few questions.

1. How hot will it get under the stove? My plan is to have wood frame, 1.5 inches of plywood, cement board, then natural stones that are about 1 inch thick. It is my understanding that will match the existing hearth I am extending to add a wood stove. I cannot imagine this being a problem, but might as well ask.

2. the fresh air kit for the Osburn 2200 just goes into the back behind the ashtray, and even in those instructions shows an option to just run fresh air to underneath the stove. So I want to run a pipe to beneath the stove for fresh air. Can I use PVC? Another option I see is flexible stainless steel 4 inch exhaust pipe. I just have no clue how hot it can get under it, or of any chance of flames going under it. Looking at the bottom of the stove I cannot picture anything burning getting down there. I plan to have a cast iron grate over the hole, but need to run a pipe about 2 feet to the outside air.

The owner's manual should specify the R value for insulation and distance to combustibles beneath, beside, and in front of the stove. These values need to be carefully observed, lest you burn down your home!

Thanks, when it talked about that stuff it said nothing about underneath it. But I searched the doc and found this.

Please note that floor protection is required for spark and ash shielding, but not for limiting floor temperatures from the radiant heat of the stove. The stove was designed and safety tested so that without any protection the floor would not overheat even under over firing conditions.

So I should be good.

Thanks, when it talked about that stuff it said nothing about underneath it. But I searched the doc and found this.

Please note that floor protection is required for spark and ash shielding, but not for limiting floor temperatures from the radiant heat of the stove. The stove was designed and safety tested so that without any protection the floor would not overheat even under over firing conditions.

So I should be good.
Yup, just need either a basic tile hearth to keep any spilled embers from catching anything combustible on fire,

It depends on the stove, the bottom shielding and the height of the pedestal. The hearth R value requirement may give some indication of how hot the hearth may get. With an ember protection only hearth requirement it sounds like your stove's hearth will not get very hot under the stove.

Just my opinion here, but most US codes for ember protection in front of the stove calls for 16". Canada calls for 18". I think 16" is too close and have a few burn marks on my carpet to prove it and I'm a careful burner. Wood can snap, crackle and pop a surpisingly long distance. If I were to start over, I would make it 18".

Yeah, I have it all laid out, I think I went 24 inches in front for the hearth. More room to sit and start the fire, safer. Probably will put a hearth pad down in front of that on the laminate wood floors. I remember that from my inlaws cabin, the burn marks in the carpet well in front of the stove.

My cat's favorite place in the winter is under the stove. It's cozy, but not really hot. I would sleep under it if there was enough room.

Reactions: Sprinter
Status
Not open for further replies.