How hot does you hopper get

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fish On

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2009
The other Cape..
Have a castile insert and it seems that my hopper gets real hot almost to the touch. Should I be worried the stove is only a year old.

I know there are a ton of saftey device on this, but I just want to make sure before I call someone.

The ones I've had experience with get almost too hot to touch on the cast hopper lid running full bore, so no worries as far as I'm concerned.

I should Have said inside where your sheet metal is, I think flash point is no where close, but I just don't remember from last year.

Your stove has a high limit temperature safety switch. As long as the switch is a-ok. That will trip the stove out before any fire issue.

Inserts are know for warm hoppers. And the hopper temp depends on the stove's construction. All I know is people pick on my monster sized Omega, But Even on the highest heat setting the hopper stays cool to the touch. The larger stoves have more clearance between the hopper and the fire box. Added safety in my book. I love my big old beast!

Both of my inserts' sheet metal hopper sides get really hot to the touch when I'm running them on high

My 1200 just gets warm, 2 heat shields. Don't know how many castile has.

A warm hopper is a good thing in that it pre-heats the pellets, so they ignite much faster, and potentially lower the fuel moisture just a bit.

My st croix insert gets roasting hot on high. Too hot inside the hopper to touch.

You are asking about the stove hopper right???

:bug:

---Nailer---

it doesn't get any hotter than this… (someone had to do it :) )

fat_ass.jpg

OH MY EYES

Feels like someone just poured fines in them

SMW, Did you ask your wifey before posting pictures of her backside on the internet?

I thinx me blinded for life! :sick:

Status
Not open for further replies.