how hot does your house get

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
7 here at the moment -12 real feel. House was at 64 downstairs when I got home a few hours ago. I said F it and turned the oil furnace on, 1st to make sure it is running right, 2nd, I can.
Need to make sure it works when I am visiting the lil woman in 2 weeks. I am even going to get the oil tank filled(3rd fill and 1-100 g delivery in 9 years . Have to run the furnace while away for the week.
Still, the furnace is backup/supplement to the wood heat. I splurged and set the thermostat to 68, that's plenty warm enough for me.
I'm sure somewhere down the road, when I have the house paid off, and getting too hard to get around, I'll just turn the thermostat up and say fug it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I have been struggling with less than perfect wood and am ready to say folk it too. I have my heat set at 60 and the furnace is already running regularly in the middle of the nights and days when I'm not home. The kids are coming this weekend I'm just going to turn it up to 70 and let the stove go out for a bit I think. I have kept it lit for three weeks now...that's a pretty good run I guess but I'm cold and overworked lol.

Zero outside this morning. 12* high forecast today. 24 hr. high was 75, low 66.
1880 s.f. NEPA. Bedroom away from stove 75* when loaded at midnight. 66 at 7:30 AM. 68 by 8 AM - 70 now. I have NO other heat source. Cooked breakfast on 45 X 20 inch stove top 630* over firebox - 25 gallons hot water 160* this morning. Water will push 200* by tonight.
There is NO other stove out there with that size cook top, water heater, or 3000 s.f. heating capacity. (in the middle of kitchen with bake oven) And my coil in the firebox is not installed. It could run radiant or some baseboard if needed.

1-8-2115.JPG 30% humidity from 24 gallon water reservoir on back with 1 lid removed. Shows 24 hour high 34% low 30%.

Last edited:
Family room. 76. Kitchen. 70. Dining room 68. Upstairs. Who cares. Lol. Electric blanket.

About 1,000 sq ft with another floor upstairs. Drafty and not well insulated/no insulation in floor. House gets to 100 if we are not careful, even at -20° outside.
Kitchen Queen 480....on a short chimney to boot.

Coaly has one like ours. We love it. It is our only source of heat and it also cooks all of our food.

Mine gets as hot or cool as i desire. I can make any room warmer or cooler than the other rooms. :)

-10*F last night, and I had the house at 74*. Lol. Woke up though and it was 58 with the LP running. Fire burned down throughout the night and house didn't stay that way. <>

Basement wood furnace heating a 1700sqft chalet style home.

Status
Not open for further replies.