How hot have you got...!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Kelly

Feeling the Heat
Hey all...

What is the hottest that you've ever "accidentally" had your stove at?

A few days ago, I filled the box with the night's load. I had the air intake open to get a good burn happening, and of course... I forgot that I had the thing fairly wide open. About 20 mins. later, I smell the very recognizable aroma of paint burning off the surface of the stove - I WAS AT 1400 degrees Fahrenheit! Pretty hot, I'd say. The entire system was crackling and popping. I wouldn't be surprised if I had a chimney fire happening!

Sooo... what's the hottest that you've had your stove??

Edit: My temp was gauged by my pipe thermometer, not a stove-top one!

1425 F.

After that it is now in the back of the yard as a meat smoker.

Attachments

• brownie smoker.jpg
    brownie smoker.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 645
By the way, you don't need a chimney fire at that stove top temp to wreck a chimney. Remember that the surface temp of the stove is around half of what is happening inside and going up the pipe. The liner that was in that chimney is laying right behind the smoker.

1400....The Summit's just barely getting warmed up at that!, :lol:
Actually, I've done that ONCE.....Like you, I forgot it. The stove was glowing red-hot on the top, and the stovepipe thermometer was laying face-down on the top of the stove. I didn't like that, so I didn't do it again.

I do like my Summit, but it is very easy to overfire! When the air control is open, it's REALLY open!

BrotherBart said:
1425 F.

Is that a file cabinet jammed on the top of the stove?

BrotherBart said:
1425 F.

Interesting thought...

I should clarify... the thermometer I use is a pipe thermometer, and not a stove-top one.

Any thoughts that 1400 degrees COULD do damage to pipes/baffles, etc?? What would I look for???

Sen. John Blutarsky said:
BrotherBart said:
1425 F.

Maybe that is the meat drawer ????

I don't think my stove has been over 700*.
The blower will turn on high automatically at 675*, and the alarm will go off at 690*.
The fire box is only 1.4 cf, so even with a good load of pallet wood it wont get all that hot.

Franks said:
1100 on an encore. The thing went from red enamel to a chocolate brown.

Similar on the old Jotul 602, though maybe not quite that hot. That stove will take off like a rocket if not damped down quickly. I really have no idea how hot it was as the needle was round tripping and I didn't have the IR unit at the time. Guessing in the 950+ territory. It went from cranberry red to dark brown.

BeGreen said:
Franks said:
1100 on an encore. The thing went from red enamel to a chocolate brown.

Similar on the old Jotul 602, though maybe not quite that hot. That stove will take off like a rocket if not damped down quickly. I really have no idea how hot it was as the needle was round tripping and I didn't have the IR unit at the time. Guessing in the 950+ territory. It went from cranberry red to dark brown.

Was that the end of the cranberry red? I suspect it was a path of no return!

No, the stove is still in great shape. The enamel just cooled down and it was happy again.

Attachments

• jotul602_gh_web.jpg
    jotul602_gh_web.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 445
Battenkiller said:
BrotherBart said:

Accurately measured by IR thermometer or estimated by eyeballing the color?

Stove top thermo was pegged at 1,000 F and the IR thermo said 1425 F. At 1125 the stove paint in the top center went "poof" and disappeared. Followed shorty by the paint on the magnetic thermo. The 3/8" inch top plate was glowing cherry red.

Thought I had found and fixed the problem. The exact same thing happened the next night and the stove went out of the house the next day.

This pic is fifteen or twenty minutes before it headed to the moon. When I shut down the air controls it took off.

Attachments

• brownie.jpg
    brownie.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 412
Stove top too ~ 630* - which is getting a little too hot for the soapstone per Hearthstone. I've had the stack reading 1400* (my wife didn't turn the the primary as promised!), but no glow. That temp was measured with my Condar probe, so......I'm guessing the actual temp was somewhere betweeen 400 and 1400* ;-P . Cheers!

I've seen the rutland thermometer maxed out before. 850 or so

pen

We've topped out just a tad over 700 a couple of times. 700 is recommended as tops for our stove but I know of some who have had it much hotter than we have and there has been no problem. I just try to not get over that 700 mark and it has been quite some time now since we've been there.

I pegged my Rutland a couple times...but that is as accurate as a weather forecaster. I get better measurements from the steam coming off the water pan on the stove. Never had any glow on the stove whatsoever.

I'm sure I flog the stack temp more than I should sometimes.

I got the Rutland stovetop thermometer up to 800 one morning at about 4:30 am. I got a little scared....thought I might wake the husband but it started to ease down and everything was ok. The girls at work thought I was nuts when I told them...they think "I really know what I am doin..." They don't know...I have just started to learn, but that's ok that they think I am a true woodburner...they don't know any better.....and I won't tell them....I am only a newbie.

I do not know hot hot my actual stove has gotten, since I've yet to get an ir thermometer. But one night I was coming down with the flu and the wife was out of town, I loaded the stove for the night burn, left the air full open (unintentionally) and fell asleep. When I woke up a couple hours later, sweating, I looked at the thermometer in the room and it was 91.5* inside the house!! I wanted to send a picture of the thermometer in with my utility bill!

egclassic said:
I do not know hot hot my actual stove has gotten, since I've yet to get an ir thermometer. But one night I was coming down with the flu and the wife was out of town, I loaded the stove for the night burn, left the air full open (unintentionally) and fell asleep. When I woke up a couple hours later, sweating, I looked at the thermometer in the room and it was 91.5* inside the house!! I wanted to send a picture of the thermometer in with my utility bill!

What did your IR read?

By the way... what does "IR" stand for? I have one, it's a stove-pipe thermometer, but not sure what IR means!

shawneyboy said:
Sen. John Blutarsky said:
BrotherBart said:
1425 F.

Maybe that is the meat drawer ????

Yep. A aluminum broiling pan fits perfectly in all three of'em.

Max stove top with a normal burn was just shy of 700. However, with certain reloads at certain temps the draft takes off like mad sometimes and I've had an IR reading of 850 on the single wall pipe about 18" up (stove top at 400 or so). Yeah, it was starting to glow. Glad my stove has a damper built into the collar for those occasions.

I have a P.E. super 27 and i've had several times were it's been up over 1400 f on my probe thermometer, the worst was probally around 2100 f and that was scary you could hear things moving around. I just shut the air and my pipe damper and within the hour it was down around 1000 f which is closer to normal

Status
Not open for further replies.