How hot is the venting pipe suposed to get?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsavage

Oct 12, 2009
Southern Utah
I ask because when I installed my pipe, it had a small leak. Now the pipe is the pellet vent pro stuff that is supposed to seal itself and has o-rings inside each connection. For whatever reason one joint didn't seal and had a bit of smoke pushing out. However, I could not get the pipe back apart to put sealant inside, so I just put the sealant on the outside. I've been running the stove for about a week and I'm just curious if that small leak will leak enough heat into the airspace built into the pipe to cause any problems. On max, the pipe gets too hot to touch after a few hours. If I touch the metal on the thimble about 1 inch away, it's just almost too hot to touch, but still cool enough to bear without burning yourself. Does that sound about right?

jsavage

I just checked my stove pipe temp 147 at the outlet of the stove cooler near the top around 127 degree.The stove has been running on medium all day. I used stove pipe tape on my leaking clean out cap so I could remove later. I don't think you will have problems with leaking around the pipe. Maybe someone will chime in later on this subject.

Bought a point and shoot thermometer. Stove's been on high for 3 hours. Temp at vent hookup is 276 F, temp on pipe as it goes through the wall (after a 3' rise) is at 255 F. Considering the flash point of wood is 570 F, I think I'm safe. If anyone does have the "expected" pipe temperatures, I'd still be interested to know though. I'm burning pellets right now, I wonder what type of increase I could expect with corn?

Status
Not open for further replies.