How hot is too hot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, Jags.
Seems most refer to having enough coals to relight.
To me. the only sensible, meaningful definition is my stove is still putting out enough heat to heat my house without more than a few degrees fluctuation in the house temp over the burn cycles.

I agree with you guys, I should have worded that differently. The reason I ask is because I'm really only getting 4-5 hours of useable heat out of my resolute before it stops heating the house. If I have a deep enough coal bed I too have gone 24 hours and stoked up some hot coals underneath. Just asking the question bc I am really interested in this stove and partially bc I would like longer burn times? It is probably a little oversized for my needs but that it what I want. I want something I can burn slow and long to really get some good burns out of and still be able to crank it up when I want to. So to edit my last post... What kind of usable, say above 300*, burn times do you guys get from your IR?

W
I agree with you guys, I should have worded that differently. The reason I ask is because I'm really only getting 4-5 hours of useable heat out of my resolute before it stops heating the house. If I have a deep enough coal bed I too have gone 24 hours and stoked up some hot coals underneath. Just asking the question bc I am really interested in this stove and partially bc I would like longer burn times? It is probably a little oversized for my needs but that it what I want. I want something I can burn slow and long to really get some good burns out of and still be able to crank it up when I want to. So to edit my last post... What kind of usable, say above 300*, burn times do you guys get from your IR?
Will pay closer attention to it and get back to you

If you are looking for a slow burner, the Isle Royale ain't on that list. It belches heat and loves to run 550+ (easily).

Reactions: northwinds
If you are looking for a slow burner, the Isle Royale ain't on that list. It belches heat and loves to run 550+ (easily).

I don't mind the heat, I will need it with the heat losses I have. Just need to know what kind of useable burn times I would expect?

I know you won't get 20 hours like Qaudrafire lists, but can I expect 10-12 hrs of good heat? 8-10? I've seen some manufacturers list this as heat time. Burn time might be 20 hours and still have hot coals but what would be expected heat times for the IR?

At 500F+ I can get 8hrs on a stove load. Then it will start to decline.

I don't get that long, but I don't fully load my stove. Eight hours at 500 degrees plus would overheat my home. More typical for me is
3-4 hours above 550 and then 3-4 hours drifting to 300, and then 3-4 hours of easy to reload coals. In fact, that's the load I'm
running right now. I loaded at 6:30 a.m. and won't reload again until 7 p.m. when I return from a Wisconsin Friday Night Fish Fry.
It's going to be 41 degrees today but will be below zero again by Monday.

You also have to remember that Jags and I have very good seasoned hardwood. I don't burn anything less than three years split hardwood

I don't get that long, but I don't fully load my stove.
I stuff mine full with anything below 30F (or heavy winds). I simply need the heat.

Walleye or cod?

Thanks guys! Sounds like it is exactly why I am looking for

I stuff mine full with anything below 30F (or heavy winds). I simply need the heat.

Walleye or cod?

Cod. We had a place close-by with really good lake perch, but it closed last month. Still looking for a good replacement. So many
fish fries to try, but someone has to do it.

Reactions: Jags
Please don't underestimate this quote.

I understand. I have 4 cords C/C/S for next year already with 4 more cords to process for stacking. I hope to be 2 years ahead by this summer so I should be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.