1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

How hot is too hot?

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by akbigsub, Dec 2, 2013.

1. akbigsub

akbigsub New Member

Loc:
    Wasilla
    We just bought a house with a Blaze King that looks like the one in this ad http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/app/4183784726.html There is a thermometer in the chimney which pegs out on the hot end with just two pieces of birch burning. I played with the nob on the back yet it made no difference. This is my first Blaze King and have always heard great things about them. My wood stove experience is as a kid with a Fisher stove. It had a damper on the chimney and round vents on the door that regulated air intake. I cannot figure out how to regulate airflow on the Blaze King and am afraid it is burning too hot. This wood stove virgin needs some help!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Is this a catalytic BK? We need a model number. It should be on a plate on the back of the stove.
  3. tsquini

tsquini Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Shore, MA
    Just two prices of birch and it pegs the thermometer. The first thing is I would check is the thermometer. Make sure it is working properly. You can do this by placing it in a 300* oven and see if the readings are close. I have had thermometers that have been off my 75*.

If it is work working correctly, check the seals on the stove and make sure there are not air leaks coming through the door. Here is a thread in checking for air leaks.
    http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/air-leak-checking-tricks.12086/
  4. akbigsub

akbigsub New Member

Loc:
    Wasilla
    It is a noncatalytic stove and the number on the back (it is stamped into the metal - not on a plate) is PT33946.