How hot should blower motor get

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
How hot should blower motor get? Turned off the stove, opened up the side panel and touched the blower motor and it was very hot. Should it be?

chrisasst said:
How hot should blower motor get? Turned off the stove, opened up the side panel and touched the blower motor and it was very hot. Should it be?

Which one?

oh yea, the circulation fan ...

I put the IR on it and it was 140 °F

Yeah, I put some oil in it while I was there, so hopefully that will help...

I doubt that lack of lubrication would affect the temp of the entire blower though it would be under a slight increase in stress -particularly to the bearing and their casing. I'd be suspecting that heat from the stove is not being blocked-off from reaching the convection blower. Perhaps there's a leak in the exhaust vent where it connects to the exhaust/combustion blower. That seems like the most likely possibility.

The Convection Blower Motor on my AVALON gets too hot to touch. It would cause burns if I touched it for more than a few seconds.

The temperature that the motor runs at will vary with the type of motor that is used.

Make sure thatn the motor is clean and not full of dust and fuzz in the air flow ports/cooling fan.

If you run the fan on a low setting they will heat up more as the little fan does not blow as much air inside the motor as it does on a higher setting.

Either blow it out or vacuum it out to be sure its clean.

The blowers on my Old Earth Stove would run quite warm.

The whitfield blower stays just warm to the touch.

Check it out for dirt and dust inside the motor.

Be careful inside the stove. Shutdown and unplug before cleaning.

Keep us posted

Snowy

"Lack of lube cause’s friction and friction last I knew causes heat." Of course, but the question is "how much heat and how far from the bearings does it extend?" To the entire blower body? to the blower mount location? Who really knows? It would seem that if the air around the blower isn't hot, then the cooling effect from the fan and the cool surrounding air would prevent the blower from becoming too hot to touch. But if the surrounding air is hot, causing the blower to be hot, then other metal surfaces in the motor area should also be too hot to touch. They should be checked to see if the heat is coming from the stove or from the blower.

Status
Not open for further replies.