How I build my wood racks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I know we all have our favorite methods for stacking. After Irene came through I had to expand my storage on the 1/4 acre. I took some pictures so I could share my method.

I start with a row of standard 40"x48" pallets. I set them with the 48" ends touching so that I know my stacks are about 4' deep when I calculate how many cords I can brag or whine about here at hearth.com.

DSC06770.jpg

I level them with bricks or PT 4x4 scraps.

DSC06771.jpg

Next I drive T posts into the ground at an end.

DSC06772.jpg

Slip a pallet over the pair of posts with the 48" side is vertical (cord measurement again).

Repeat on the other end

DSC06776.jpg

And start loading. I stack three rows deep and about 5' high.

DSC06784.jpg

This is a short one, but they can be as long as you have room for. This stack is 80" long and I pile about 5' high, so, I'll have just about a cord here.

Thanks for sharing that ! It should come in useful in the future .

That's a good build.

Consider running a pair of bungees across the middle between the stacks for added support so the sides don't spread. I've found those posts tend to lean as the soil gets wet.

Flatbedford "Slip a pallet over the pair of posts " That is pretty slick. I never did like the steel post ends but the pallets slipped over them is a great idea. Thanks

That's great..I will probably use this for wood that needs seasoning...but I wanna make a pallet shed for my wood that's already.seasoned...anyone ever did it?

Hank Hill would have a FIT for you leaning firewood against those nice, clean white Propane tanks, which were never abused before! (Looks great... sorry I couldn't resist that comment)

steeltowninwv said:
That's great..I will probably use this for wood that needs seasoning...but I wanna make a pallet shed for my wood that's already.seasoned...anyone ever did it?

Check out the poor mans shed thread. It gave me an idea.
Im picking up some more pallets this week and building one. I have access to some european pallets, they're 32 X 48 so three sideways equals two the other way. Ill post pics once its done and Ill have pics on how I did it. It should hold over 4 cords when done. I just have to buy some roofing, Im going to do a flat roof.

tfdchief said:
Flatbedford "Slip a pallet over the pair of posts " That is pretty slick. I never did like the steel post ends but the pallets slipped over them is a great idea. Thanks

+1. What length posts are you using?

cygnus said:
That's a good build.

Consider running a pair of bungees across the middle between the stacks for added support so the sides don't spread. I've found those posts tend to lean as the soil gets wet.

I believe Todd does that, but with plain rope.

Den said:
tfdchief said:

+1. What length posts are you using?

cygnus said:
That's a good build.

I believe Todd does that, but with plain rope.

i use fence wire. you can twist it to fine tune the tension. and its not going to break or stretch.

Flatbed,
Wow I like your idea. Really cool. I got some pallets laying around I could use like that.

I use the same method except instead of the t-posts, I screw 2 x 4's to each pallet.

IMG_0907.jpg

Great Ideas, especially for the surplus storage of my wood. Thanks for the ideal.

peterc38 said:
I use the same method except instead of the t-posts, I screw 2 x 4's to each pallet.

IMG_0907.jpg

Thats what I do too, I put 2 x 4's around the edge of the pallet too and tie it into the adjacent pallet, its really strong this way.

IMG_1512.jpg

I use 6' T posts. I was going to go with the 2x4s as above, but my rows always hang a few inches over the sides and the 2x4s would be in the way.

Weatherguy ill be looking forward to seeing ur build..

Here it is loaded with a cord+ of Black Locust. I'll be burning this in January '13 or so.

DSC06785.jpg

DSC06786.jpg

I am officially done for now. I have 12+ cords split and stacked. About 90 linear feet of Black Locust, Red and White Oak, and a little Ash, Norway Maple, and some other unknown stuff.

I still don't get why folks don't crossstack the ends . . . and then they don't need to buy T-bars . . . maybe I'm missing something . . . I mean I suppose going with T-bars would allow you to get a little more wood in the stack with straight stacking vs. having an end cross stacked . . .

I think I can load higher and faster with this setup. Cross stacking the ends requires much more time, thought, and effort for me. On my longer stacks I sometimes cross stack to lessen the load on the T posts.

firefighterjake said:
I still don't get why folks don't crossstack the ends . . . and then they don't need to buy T-bars . . . maybe I'm missing something . . . I mean I suppose going with T-bars would allow you to get a little more wood in the stack with straight stacking vs. having an end cross stacked . . .

Jake,

I don't use the T-bars, I use an upright pallet w/a 2x4 brace like other people have shown. I prefer the upright pallet method versus the cross-stack ends method because of all the grandchildren known to run/chase/kick balls around our backyard. I wouldn't want one of the grandkids to accidentally knock a stack over and possibly hurt themselves.

Besides....... cross-stacked ends can also tumble down when you knick 'em with the snowplow blade..... don't ask how I know this.....

Shari

Shari said:
Besides....... cross-stacked ends can also tumble down when you knick 'em with the snowplow blade..... don't ask how I know this.....

Shari

Yup.

I just started using T-posts... just seems easier, quicker, and more secure than cross stacking. And since a friend gave me a whole pile of them for basically nothing, I didnt have to buy them (well except the pounder).

weatherguy said:
peterc38 said:

IMG_0907.jpg

Thats what I do too, I put 2 x 4's around the edge of the pallet too and tie it into the adjacent pallet, its really strong this way.

IMG_1512.jpg

Me three.
There's so many rocks here there's no way you could get four T-posts square in the ground without an excavator.

OhioBurner© said:
(well except the pounder).

I had a local welder make mine from scrap that I found at his shop. I couldn't find one anywhere near me and did not want to pay shipping for such a heavy item. I think he charged me $30.
DSC06774.jpg

DSC06775.jpg

Yup not much to em, I was going to make one myself too but it was only around $30 at lowes so I just bought it.

Status
Not open for further replies.