How I learned to stop worrying and love the insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onion

Burning Hunk
Nov 3, 2009
Ohio
So I had my Regency installed about a month ago. In the few months before that I had been running through about 200 gallons of propane (horribly inefficient furnace, hot water and stove) a month. When I installed the insert I checked the propane tank gauge - 50% or 250 gallons left. After a month I had forgotten to even look at the gauge since then and I called the propane man to schedule a delivery. 'Pane is up to $3.20 locally and the minimum is 150 gallons meaning I was going to spend north of $500. I told them to schedule it. Got home from work and checked the gauge - 38% or total monthly usage of about 60 gallons. Mean temp during the month was 28 °F.

Called the propane man and told them to cancel the delivery. $500 back into my pocket. Now I know I should be able to make it through the heating season just fine and buy my propane in the summer at hopefully nearly half the price. I think this is going to work out just fine......

Similar situation here: I called the oil delivery company this week and cancelled our 'auto fill'. :)

Shari

How do you like that Regency I3100? Any quirks you've found yet? Ours is coming for the LR in a couple of weeks.

Before stoves: 1500-ish gallons of oil.

After Stoves: About 300-350 gallons.

Next year: <100 gallons.

That is $3,000-$5000 a year in savings, depending on oil price and how much wood I scrounge vs. buy (max. wood cost is $650)

First year of burning, we went thru 500+ gallons of oil (purchased the stove in late Dec 08, sub-seasoned wood, no burning experience). This season, we got a fill-up in Oct '09. Still well above half a tank as of today. I think my next fill will be in Oct '10. The wife and I finally have this burning thing down pat.

In our last house, we were spending over $4300 a year for oil. Man, am I happy NOT to be shelling out big bucks for oil anymore!

KB007 said:
How do you like that Regency I3100? Any quirks you've found yet? Ours is coming for the LR in a couple of weeks.

I love it, in fact if I were alive I'd make an honest piece of steel out of her.

No real quirks yet with the exception of the nuts holding the handle tight. I can't seem to keep them tight. Doesn't cause any problem though.

Peter SWNH said:
First year of burning, we went thru 500+ gallons of oil (purchased the stove in late Dec 08, sub-seasoned wood, no burning experience). This season, we got a fill-up in Oct '09. Still well above half a tank as of today. I think my next fill will be in Oct '10. The wife and I finally have this burning thing down pat.

In our last house, we were spending over $4300 a year for oil. Man, am I happy NOT to be shelling out big bucks for oil anymore!

And in addition, you get to watch a beautiful fire and have heat even if the power is out!

Man, I wonder what the poor people do!

pen

I got filled in Nov and they came last month (jan) for my auto fill and could only fit 90 gallons, I just checked and I used 1/4 tank since then. Its taken me a while to get burning down pat and to get in sync with my wife and my schedule so i plan on doing a bit better next year. These things do pay for themselves and I love every aspect from stacking wood and burning.

my oil company schedules deliveries.....yearly. then, i only get between 50-100 gallons depending on when i start my heating season and how much wood i have. i was going to get on a price lock in program, and the representative told me it would cost almost as much to join than it would for one of my deliveries.
gotta love those wood stoves :lol:

cass

onion said:
KB007 said:

No real quirks yet with the exception of the nuts holding the handle tight. I can't seem to keep them tight. Doesn't cause any problem though.

+1

mine does the same thing. its snug when you close the door though, just in the open position it moves very easily.

is your glass kinda hard to keep clean? mine always has a light film on it, regardless of how hot it burns.

BucksCoBernie said:
onion said:
KB007 said:

+1

mine does the same thing. its snug when you close the door though, just in the open position it moves very easily.

is your glass kinda hard to keep clean? mine always has a light film on it, regardless of how hot it burns.

Yes. I clean it every Sunday. Its a sort of grayish film.

Status
Not open for further replies.