How in the heck do you keep from scratching telescoping DVL pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lopiliberty

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2011
WV
Just ordered DLV telescoping pipe but haven't installed it yet but did a test fit and man did it scratch. There were no rough place anywhere??? Luckily what was scratched will be covered but when I install it going to have to slide it up and pull it back down and it will probably scratch again. Anyone have any ideas how to keep it from getting scratched?

My pipe is painted light gray to match my stove. I just ordered an extra can of paint from Woodstock, and when I clean the chimney, if the scratches are to obvious or bother me, I just give the pipe a quick spray. Looks like new.

Reactions: eclecticcottage
no way around scratching it ,just be prepaired to touch it up everytime you clean the flue

Contact the manufacturer and ask what paint they use, then get a can for tough ups.

Contact the manufacturer and ask what paint they use, then get a can for tough ups.
Satin Stove-Bright is the closest we can find.
Stove-Bright makes a Dura-Vent black paint that is special order, but it doesn't match perfect either. Satin is so common, I just use that.

Reactions: Hogwildz
I fabricated an outside sleeve for mine. I only need to raise the pipe 1.75 inches an the sleeve is around 3 inches so the scratches are covered up. No need for touch ups. The sleeve has two screws in the back sort of like a clamp.

Reactions: CenterTree
Status
Not open for further replies.