How is $325 a cord in northeastern MA....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your dealing with a person whom looks for controversy. Nuff said.

Ahh, Hog...he who contradanse with a horse.......?

:coolhmm:

I did not see any whining going on.
And who was b*tching about stacking?
I think we ALL know we need to plan early.
You never no someones situation either, sometimes life throws a monkey wrench into your planning.

Gee, try again, I though I made this post a day back...seems not.

I thought prices are high in NJ, but I paid only $175 for a cord (after stacking really about 80% of a cord) last week. I knew it wasn't the advertised "cord" when the wood guy said two piok-up loads, but given the other price I had from a tree service was $240 plus 7% tax, and who knows how much I'd get, I said "deal". The wood has at least a few months seasoning on it and is Cherry, Oak and other HW.

I too don't know how a person can do all that work, and buy/maintain all that equipment for the price charged. As someone suggested, it may be in part a by-product of other work, such as is the case with the tree service. In the case where I bought it may be a side-line but he doesn't offer tree services, I asked.

I too scrounge, not much along the country roads anymore, and use all that comes down on my large property. It is very hard work to "make you own".

PeteD said:
downeast said:
Reality check time boys and girls. Flame if you need to.

The whining about the "cost" of CSD (cut/split/delivered) firewood is too much.

I haven't really seen any whining to tell you the truth. I agree it is a lot of work and frankly I don't know how anyone makes any money at it. I would assume the only way to do that is to come by the wood as a side effect of another business (land clearing, landscaping, building, etc.).

If you had to pay for someone to get firewood specifically, I have a hard time seeing how they can make a living.

I am scrounging and harvesting what I can myself.

Several years back, I used a 60-foot pine tree that was 15 feet from my son's bedroom as an excuse to by a Husky 350 and drop it myself, instead of paying someone to do it. But I do almost all projects myself and use some of the savings on labor to buy tools I can use down the road.

Hell, if I had to pay myself for my time to prepare my own wood, I would better off paying $5.00 for oil and not worrying about it. But, I think wood gathering is therapeutic and there is something primordial about fire that makes it all fun.

The purpose of my post was simply to see if this was the market price in my area. There are always people taking advantage of situations like we have now try to make some extra money. However, I believe people can charge whatever they want and the market will determine what the price should be.

Pete

Well said....

Status
Not open for further replies.