How is it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CodyWayne718

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2009
Kentucky
How's these 60 degree December days treating y'all? I'm ready for winter but it's takin it's sweet time.

Driving me crazy!

Burning more propane than I want to because I don't need the serious heat from the 30 yet.

I'm ready for the ground to freeze and stay frozen. Too much mud out there right now, and my dogs just track it in the house.

I am ready for some winter!

-SF

It's driving me nuts because it's difficult to get the temperature right in here. I want a fire all day at work, but if I get even a small fire going here...the office I sit in rockets up to about 78 or 79 and then it's really hard to stay focused and awake. The rain is making it sucky to go to my wood pile and do the splitting I like for the smaller pieces I prefer to burn. The splits I buy are quartered, and I prefer even smaller than that for hot smoke-free burning.

On the other hand, it has been raining for about 24 hours and will be for the next few days. For precipitation, I love 40+ degree weather as I don't have to mess with snow removal duties.

Winter can wait another 40 years as far as I'm concerned

I'm with Hoss this year. My wood supply is still not where it needs to be, so I cherish every split I put off burning for another day.

hossthehermit said:
Winter can wait another 40 years as far as I'm concerned

Yup, that would certainly mean I'd never see another one. Barely 40°F afternoon highs here now...down into the teens overnight. I hate being cold. Rick

Same here Rick.

I'm still riding my bicycle around the ski resort, so the late winter has been nice. The best part is that all the usually crowded trails/destinations are free of people.

Middle of December and no fire or furnace tonight. Only supposed to get down to 55* tonight. Watching a thunderstorm out the window right now. Weird.

It's been warm here, too, getting up towards 20F during the days, sometimes even a little warmer and we get snow that can't quite decide if it's rain.

Last night it went back town to zero, and we've been getting so soft that zero feels cold. Cat looked annoyed, and put off going outside as long as she could. We need to refill the woodbox before we go off to school/work today. I'm with Kathleen; this warm weather is kinder to my woodpile than the -30/-40 weather we had in November. With luck and grace, we have enough wood to make it through the winter. This weather is also easier on my equipment. Less wear and tear on the vehicles, doesn't put the plumbing at risk. I wouldn't mind seeing a mild winter this year.

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of the cold weather . . . and then the snow . . . but if the snow and/or cold doesn't come I'll just keep cutting and hauling firewood . . . and when it does come I'll be riding the trails.

Well it is cooling off fast now so say goodbye to those 60 degree days for a while. However, the forecast really does not sound bad for cold yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.