How is Redbud tree to burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gark

Minister of Fire
Jan 27, 2007
SW Michigan
The tree, Cercis canadensis (or maybe C.siliquastrum- Judas tree) has wide annular rings but the end grain is very hard. A utility knife blade has as much trouble sinking into the end grain as red oak. The fingernail test feels like the wood is very dense. I've looked into dozens of FIREWOOD-BTU charts but don't see redbud or Judas tree listed. Has anyone burned this and how long to season and how good a burn? We don't have much of it, just curious how it does as firewood.

Never burn it but most landscape trees are very dense and great firewood.

Quite a bit of Redbud in the woods here. I've only burned a piece here and there, so can't really say how a load would burn. I think Jay's got the right call; Should burn great.

Few yrs back I got some cleaning up storm damage for some people.Very similar to Honey Locust in density,burning quality etc.Just much smaller pieces obviously,never seen any trees over 12" diameter & 30 ft tall with short trunk not over 3-4 ft max.

Should burn nicely.

Its great firewood that I have burned it before and have about 50 pieces of it in my stacks earmarked for the upcoming year. It has about the same weight as red oak when fully seasoned but the seasoning process takes 9 months.

Thanks for the replies. It's only a couple of wheelbarrows full, but it will definitely go into the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.