How is the Vermont Castings parts situation looking?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slindo

Mar 14, 2008
Maine
I posted a few times early spring, just after the big parts price increase, about whether to scrap or rebuild my early Defiant Encore (needs refractory package, heat exchanger, and cat). At the time, several VC dealers and others suggested waiting to see what happend, since there had been so much outcry from the dealers about the crazy parts prices.

It just hit me that it is later, and heating system is almost upon us, and my stove is still in pieces. It also appears that the VC situation has gone from bad to worse, with the new owners striving to find new ways to screw their dealers, so there is not likely to be any relief on the parts prices.

Anyone have any insight on this? I am reluctantly concluding that after 30+ years of full time wood heating with VC stoves, it is time to start shopping for a new, non-VC stove.

Oh, if anyone has any of those parts - refractory package, fireback, catalyst - for an early Encore they want to sell, let me know.

given the number of responses that you have received, I would say not very good........

Yeah, I think a lot of VC owners just want to take their losses and move on.

I finally got around to calling around, though, and found the full rebuild packages is still not too bad (I have a feeling someone just missed over it when they were doubling all the prices) so I have ordered one and am going to keep my fingers crossed that it arrives. Amazing how a few months to get use to it (and the fear of worst to come) can dull the pain of sticker shock!

Buying a parts stove probably isn't the solution since odds are the same parts will be bad or about to go bad.

Oh, there is a VC price update due Sept 1st!

Adirondackwoodburner said:
given the number of responses that you have received, I would say not very good........

Oh, one other interesting bit of gossip is the new owners of VC are apparently considering dropping all parts support non-EPA models

Call me silly, but I don't really care what happens to Vermont Castings.

I have two VC stoves; a Resolute in the living room and an Intrepid in the garage. Both circa 1984, both near new.

And near new is the crux of the bisquit.

I'm going to use them for the next 15 ro 20 years, then get the latest and greatest solar-hydrogen-soapstone stove (excess energy used to fuel my CNG '73 VW Thing.

Oh what a beautiful world it could be...

Vote in the next election. I don't care who you vote for, just do it. It's your responsibility as an American.

I bought a refractory chamber and secondary air T-stat about a month or so ago for my Intrepid II. The chamber was around $80-100 and the T-stat maybe $30 if I recall.
Black Swan shipped them out within days of ordering, and exchanged without problem the T-stat after it arrived damaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.